Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Reece's Visit with Dr. Robbins

Reece had his visit with Dr. Robbins, the orthopaedic surgeon who operated on his feet, today.  He said that all looks good, and that his feet were flat, which is what you want for walking.   He also looked at Reece's spine because of our concern about scoliosis.  He said that it did appear that Reece has a minor "C" curvature of about 10 or 15 degrees.  I've read that when it is below 20 degrees, the doctors don't do anything about it because the child usually grows out of it.  **Fingers crossed!**  Other than that, we had to break it to Dr. Robbins that we were turning Reece's complete orthopaedic care over to Dr. McCall at Shriners.  I have made myself sick over this very thing for 6 months now because Dr. Robbins has been there since day 1 in the NICU.  But in the typical Dr. Robbins manner, he was absolutely understanding and said that he doesn't blame us.  He does want us to keep him updated and let him know what Dr. McCall says, and he wants us to continue to bring Reece by to see him.  I think he's interested in learning all that he can about Reece's condition.  So, in case your child ever breaks a leg or needs any kind of orthopaedic care, we HIGHLY recommend Dr. Craig Robbins.
I was checking my calendar out yesterday and realized that Reece has a doctor's appointment every week (except for one, and I have one that week) until the end of February.  And so it starts.  Next Thursday, we are off to Dr. Harmon, the urologist.  I am kind of dreading this one because they will be doing a VCUG to check on the reflux in Reece's kidney.  To do this, the will put a catheter in him while he's awake.  Pretty hard thing to watch, but the last time they did it, he didn't flinch.  Hopefully, this time will be the same.  
Things are really busy around here.  We started putting away Christmas decorations tonight, and Reece's birthday has really snuck up on me.  I'm starting to panic a little.  The invitations are not in yet, and I always try to send invites out 2 weeks before.  Looks like we'll barely make a week for this one.  I haven't ordered his cake yet, and I don't have the first decoration or favor!  Ok... total panic setting in now!!  Next week will be very busy!  
No big plans for New Years Day.  Nick and I started a tradition, I guess during our first year of marriage, where I make a bunch of little appetizers just for us, and we eat all day long.  Bring on 5 extra pounds!
Reece has been in an interesting mood here lately.  Not sure what's going on with him.  He's not a fan of his formula anymore, and if you can believe this, he's been more clingy to me.  I'm beginning to think that he's cutting a few teeth.  His finger has stayed in the back of his mouth for the past few days, and his sleeping at night has not been that great.  I was up with him for 2 hours last night with him crying the entire time.  That is very unlike Reece, so I know something is up.  Plus, I think he's still exhausted from all of the Christmas festivities.  Hopefully, next week we will get back on schedule, and that will help some.  
I find myself with less and less time.  Somehow, every free moment that comes along gets filled with something.  Being the anal mother that I am, I've been worried about Reece not spending enough time with other kids.  Mother Goose Lapsit at the library on Thursday afternoon was cut out after speech therapy began, but they do have one on Monday mornings.  This would take away some of his naptime, but let him get enough sleep in before OT.  So starting next week, here's what our schedule will look like:
Monday 9:30 a.m.  Mother Goose
               11:30 a.m.  OT
               Sometime that afternoon-  Grocery store
Tuesday  Aquatic therapy
                 Laundry day
Wednesday  2:30 p.m.  PT
Thursday   11:30 a.m.  OT
                      2:30 p.m.  ST
Friday    Aquatic therapy
It doesn't look like much, until you start throwing in naptimes (1 1/2-2 hours), meal times (30-45 minutes), errands, and bath time.  By the end of the day, I just want to sit and stare at the wall!  
Big thing happened while I was working with Reece in the pool, and I totally forgot to tell Katie, his PT.  He LOVES to hold onto the side of the pool and just stand.  Well, I've been working with him on "cruising" or taking sideways steps while holding on.  Yesterday when we went, he did it!  It's so funny because he will stare at his feet like "Ok, feet.  Move."  I know it's probably easier for him because the pool slopes down, but he had never taken a step sideways like that before, and he did it more than once.  I was very proud!  So take a moment, and "clap for Reece!"  (In case some of you don't know, Reece absolutely loves clapping for himself.  We kinda started it all because every time he did something good, we'd say "clap for Reece" and he would.  Now, he's not shy at all about praising himself!)
That's all I have for now.  I hope all of you have a very safe and Happy New Year!!
With love,
Beth

1 comment:

The Long Family said...

Congrats on the sideways steps! I can't believe that Reece will be a year old in less than two weeks! How crazy is that?