Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Mommy's First Shot at Aquatic Therapy

Mr. Reece and I went to the therapy pool at the Y for the first time this afternoon.  Let me tell you, I was really kinda dreading it.  I had no idea how I was going to manage this on my own!  I was so worried about how I would get all of our gear into the Y and get Reece out of his wet clothes afterwards.  Nick suggested taking the stroller, and I must say it was a great suggestion!  We had an absolute blast!  Reece took right to the water.  We started out in the 1 foot, and I stretched his little knees and feet.  Then we moved on to the 3 feet, and he just giggled with excitement.  He kicked and kicked and kicked some more.  He was not still a second!  I was able to stretch his wrists really well without him fighting me!  He was so busy kicking his legs that he didn't realize what I was doing.  He quickly discovered splashing, which the PT who is helping us with this said was really important because it provided resistance.  I also noticed him putting his arms under and swinging them back and forth which has to be really good for building strength.  We went back to the shallow part and practiced walking, and he just took off!  I was shocked.  I guess his legs feel so much lighter that it was really easy for him.  After being in the water for about an hour, I decided it was time for us to go.  Well, Reece was not quite ready.  I definitely heard some objection to getting out of the water!  Pack up was much easier than I thought... I actually can't wait to take him back!   I feel so much better now!  I am so glad that he loves the water, and I know deep down that this is going to be really beneficial to him.  I told Nick that now I know we made a good investment in joining the Y.  So, we have officially added another therapy to our weekly repertoire.  However, this kind of therapy is more like Mommy/son playtime!  Our little guy is pretty exhausted so I had better go get him ready for bed.  I just couldn't wait to share our exciting experience with you!  Next trip, we're bringing Daddy in on the fun!
With love,
Beth 

4 comments:

Suzanne Rudder said...

WOOHOO!!! How exciting! I'm glad he loves the water!

The Long Family said...

That is exciting!!! THey say water aerobics is the best kind! Easy on the joints.... see you next week.

Meaghan said...

That sounds great! Glad it's fun and not as much work as you thought!

Abby Jenkins said...

I am so glad that he loved it. Doing all you have to do has to be much easier when he enjoys it so much.