Wednesday, December 10, 2008

My Vent for the Day

As you know, Reece had an appointment today with Dr. McCluskey, the congenital hand specialist at UMC.  We went to the appointment fully expecting to wait for 4 hours like the last visit.  Surprisingly, we were only there for 2 hours!  However, I left feeling very irritated.  We get to the clinic at 12:15 because Reece's appt was for 12:30.  We get called back to the room at 2:00, and we are leaving by 2:15.  I should be happy for such a short visit, right?  Well, I wasn't.  First of all, I know that UMC is a university, and we've become quite used to the fact that the doctors always have residents in with them.  However, I DO mind when the actual doctor speaks only to the resident about OUR son.  Everything is directed toward him.  I'm like, "Hello, we are the parents!  Speak to us!"  So, anyway, Dr. McCluskey, who is a little quirky, comes in and picks Reece up.  He walks over to the mirror with him and starts talking in this weird voice that he uses.  He's trying to get Reece to look at himself in the mirror, but instead, Reece takes his hand and strongly pushes the doctor's face away.  I probably shouldn't be very proud of this, but secretly I'm saying, "Go Reece!"  So, then he lays Reece on the table and starts talking about (to the resident) how he would never touch Reece's knees because they are almost straight.  Good news?   I would love for it to be, but no... his knees lack several degrees from being straight.  We have his PT measurements to prove that.  Dr. McCall at Shriners will be discussing knee surgery during the next visit.  So, I start wondering... does this guy really know what he's talking about?  Then, he goes on to say that his elbows will eventually be straight.  Really???  His radial heads are out of socket, and we've been told that they will never be completely straight.  What is with this guy??  I ask about him not being able to supinate (rotating his arm to palm up), and he said that Reece's position is a better one to be in.  First thing that sounds reasonable to me.  I ask about his thumbs being stuck in his palms, and he says that we don't worry about that right now.  "Looks like he's improving.  I'll write a script for his OT to continue therapy.  Come back in 6 months."   Total ACTUAL visit with the doctor... approx. 5 minutes.  He didn't watch how he picks up objects, how he finger feeds, how he reaches up, etc  How can he get a good idea of what's going on with Reece's hands if he doesn't watch these things?  I know I should be praising God that he didn't add another surgery to Reece's schedule instead of complaining, but it just feels like he doesn't really know what Reece is capable of.  I just don't feel like he's connected to Reece.  He was also the doctor who said not to put Reece in hand splints, and Shriners did.  Granted, he doesn't wear them now because I feel they need to be adjusted, but at least Dr. McCall was willing to be proactive.
I sometimes run into the problem of doctors either not listening to what I have to say, or interrupting me.  Nick says that I have been spoiled by Dr. Robbins, Reece's first ortho and Dr. Denney, his pediatrician.  I say, they should ALL be willing to listen to what the parents have to say.  I'm not some uneducated woman who has no idea what she's talking about.  I've probably done as much, if not more, research about everything going on with Reece as they have.  Will we go back in 6 months?  I would love to say definitely not.  However, I spoke with Shriners a week or so ago, and they told me that Dr. McCall does not really deal with hands, especially if they require surgery.  They said that he will fit for splints, but we should stick with Dr. McCluskey here at home.  Unfortunately, there are no other congenital hand specialists in the area, so I guess we are stuck for now.  I will be getting Dr. McCall's opinion on it in January, and who knows, after seeing Reece, he may decide not to do surgery on his knees after all.  I'm so tired of hearing a million different opinions.  No one agrees on anything, and it leaves me totally confused as to what is the right thing to do for Reece.  I find myself often asking the Lord to please guide us to the right doctors and in making the right medical decisions.  With the new year coming up, I find myself in a bittersweet mood.  Things are definitely sweeter since Reece came into our lives, but a new year means surgery.  Who knows how many?  I get sick to my stomach just thinking about it.  I know it will be so much harder because he understands what it means to be away from us now.  Ok, seriously, not going to think about it right now.
That's my vent for the day, and I'm sorry it was just a lot of complaining.  This blog is like my diary, and it just helps to let it all out.  On the bright side, there are some new pictures to the left.  You're probably thinking what I was thinking when I looked at them-  Wow!  He's really growing up!  Yeh, we're not going to think about that right now either!
With love,
Beth      

1 comment:

The Long Family said...

way to vent. you should have gone off on him. and you are right that all doctors should really listen. I would have been furious.