Now why is it driving me crazy? Every day we work with Reece on pulling his pants up and pushing them down, and every night we walk him through undressing himself. What should take 2 minutes takes 10, and it's a really hard thing to watch him struggle. Try pulling your pants down with your legs bent, your elbows bent, your wrist bent and unable to turn palm up, and your fingers bent. Not an easy task, and it's no wonder he gets so frustrated. He wiggles, he shakes, and he shimmies, but is so difficult for him. He just can't reach far enough back to grasp the back part of his underwear and pants. We haven't even started working on the shirt thing yet! And, needless to say, I don't think he even knows he has the option of wiping himself in the bathroom.
Nick and I have been very proactive in surgery for Reece, so why haven't we done anything for this? Well, we've been told by 3 orthopedic surgeons that there is a surgery for it but the deformity often recurs. If you notice the date of the linked article above, it was just updated like 5 days ago. It seems to me that there is actually some research going on about how to surgically correct this. I wouldn't worry about it so much if I saw improvement, but so far we haven't. His shoulders are super tight as well, and as I mentioned before, have begun slumping forward more. His private OT told us on Tuesday that the clinic has purchased a kinesiotaping kit, and she is going to begin taping Reece's shoulders in the next few weeks.
Nick and I have always said that we wanted to get as much surgery done as we could before Reece began kindergarten. Our deadline is fast approaching, and it honestly makes me nervous. Realistically, I know that Reece is probably not finished with surgeries. But, I hate the thought of having to take him out of school for a week at a time to have a surgery. For some reason, we did not have a follow up appointment with Dr. Peljovich, the upper extremity surgeon, so when I made Reece's craniofacial team appointment this morning, I went ahead and scheduled one with Dr. P while we are there in Atlanta. I just want to talk with him about my concerns regarding Reece's elbows. Those appointments are in June.
I know, like everything else, Reece will probably adapt. It's just so hard to watch him "know" what he's supposed to be doing, but not being physically able to "do" it. He won't go to the bathroom at school unless he absolutely HAS to because he's so self-conscious of the help he needs to get his pants down. I'm sure he notices the other kids doing it by themselves, and he is increasingly becoming more aware of his differences. We've begun talking in small bits about things being a little more difficult for him. I've told him that God makes everyone special, but He made him extra special because He has big plans for him. I figure that's all the explanation a 4 year old needs right now.
Ok, so I've gotten all of this off of my chest now. I feel better.
Big preschool field trip tomorrow to one of Reece's favorite places... Mazzio's Pizza. He's so excited about getting to make his own pizza and then eat it. He'll be headed to Moni and Daddy Da's tomorrow after school. I'll have the rest of the afternoon to myself, then I head to the Luke 14 dinner sponsored by Joni and Friends. Saturday will be a date day for me and Nick, and we plan on doing what we enjoy most... eating out at a nice restaurant. Sunday, we'll pick up our man after Moni and I attend a shower in Meridian, and then we'll start all over again!
Busy weekend for sure!
Hope yours is blessed!
With love,
Beth
No comments:
Post a Comment