Why does time just start to fly by after Thanksgiving? It seems as if we constantly have something to do or somewhere to be! With Nick getting ready for Best Gift at Pinelake and me running around shopping with a 2 year old, our house is always hopping! We did enjoy a nice day at home yesterday. There were no quick errands and no therapy appointments, so it was really nice for a change. Thursday, Nick and I took Reece to get his H1N1 vaccine, and he is such a little trooper! He cried for like 10 seconds, and then he was ok. As usual, Reece demonstrated his ability to completely wrap the staff of The Children's Clinic around his little finger. The whole front desk let out a huge howl of laughter when Reece shared one of his new words with them- dee-gust-ing, aka disgusting. He's cracking me up how he's picking up on things we say now. For example, he was watching me clean out the washing machine after discovering mold in it, and I said, "Ooh, Reece! This is disgusting!" With no pause, he repeated it in that precious little voice of his, and keeps us laughing every time he says it. With Christmas approaching, we've been talking a lot about what Christmas is, and I've shown him pictures of the nativity scene as well as the one we have in our front yard. I've explained who everybody is and that Christmas is baby Jesus' birthday. Well, on a whim the other day, I walked by a manger scene on my foyer table, and pointed to Jesus and asked Reece who he was. Reece replied, "baby Desus." I could have melted right there. Then, in Shreveport, while eating at McAlister's, Nick asked him whose birthday is on Christmas. Again, he replied, "baby Desus." We smiled, and started eating. I halfway noticed that Reece was singing something, but didn't really pay any attention to what it was because he sings ALL the time. But Nick looked up from his sandwich and said, "Beth, he's singing Happy birthday to you!" I tuned in, and sure enough, he was singing Happy birthday... to baby Desus! Honestly, this kid never ceases to amaze me! Another precious thing that he started doing, and it started there at McAlister's too, is by far one of the cutest things ever! When his grilled cheese came out, I didn't pinch it into bite size pieces for him. Here lately, I guess it's the 2's kicking in, I never seem to do the right thing. If I pinch it up, then he wants it whole. If I give it to him whole, he wants it pinched. Anyway... this time he wanted it pinched, so I took the triangle and started making bite size pieces for him. After I finished, he looked at me with the biggest and most heart-melting smile and said, "Ank you, Mama." No idea where he got it from. Maybe I've unconsciously said it to him when I give him something, but now everything I give him is followed by an adorable "ank you, Mama." Even when I gave him his Flintstone vitamin tonight, he took it out of my hand and thanked me. Oh wow! Thank you, God for blessing me with this little man!
You know, it's about that time of year when I start reflecting back on what has happened. Never in a million years would I have thought that my baby would have been through 3 surgeries in one year...heck, really 3 in 4 months. Do you know how weird yet comforting it is to know that we don't have one planned surgery for 2010? I pray that it can stay that way for the next several years, but whatever needs to be done will be. Now, we can focus all of our energy on therapy and getting him walking. The walker, by the way, is in, but they had to order another part. It will take another week. Yeh, right. I'm thinking we MIGHT get it by the time he starts kindergarten (ha ha). In all seriousness, we have been waiting on this thing since August. It's so frustrating to not be able to get your hands on something that your child needs!
Back to our busy weekend... Reece and I headed to the Gingerbread House gift show at the Ag museum this morning, and then did some more Christmas shopping around town. On a whim, we picked up a "big boy chair" for Reece at Babies R Us. If you've been reading for about a year, last year around this time we bought the metoo highchair that clips on the table. We absolutely loved it, but I felt he needed something a little bigger. Plus, with him beginning to feed himself with utensils, the thing was getting "dee-gust-ing", and Mama needed something easier to clean. So, we purchased the Fisher Price booster chair, and he looks so grown-up sitting in it. Ohhh! I can't believe he'll be two in about a month! Anyway, after shopping, we had lunch with our friend, Amy, at El Sombrero. Amy and I met at Petsmart puppy school, and I felt as if we clicked. We had a great time eating lunch with her, and of course, Reece entertained us.
Tomorrow is church day, and with me teaching 3 year olds now, we don't get home until almost 1:00. Reece's cousin Kate's birthday is tomorrow, and the family is going to Cock of the Walk to celebrate with ice cream cake to follow at Kate's house. Monday our normal routine begins all over again! Somewhere in our hectic schedule, we've GOT to find time to have our annual tradition of baking gingerbread men. Nick and I started doing this after we were married, and we did it last year with Reece. I just love a good ol' tradition! Plus, I've got all kinds of other Christmas goodies I want to make! I've gotta go to the grocery store and stock up!
Between baking, Christmas shopping, working with Reece and making room for the gazillion toys that will find their way into our home between now and the end of January, Mama is one busy lady! Yeh... I better go get some sleep now!
With love,
Beth
P.S. What did Reece think of the snow? Fun to look at, but not fun to be in when your Mama grabs you out of bed, bundles you up, and makes you touch the cold stuff with your hand because she's so afraid it was going to melt before you woke up. She still thinks I brought the stuff with me since it has snowed 3 times in less than 2 years... two days after I was born, before Christmas last year, and before Christmas this year. Maybe next time, she'll calm down and not take me from the bed to the ice cold outdoors! She's wacky, but I love her!
2 comments:
Ha, Beth! I did the same thing to Tehya-drug her out of bed cause I just knew it would be gone by morning! She is eleven and she didn't appreciate it either!
He sounds like the sweetest thing ever! I can't wait until MR starts to really talk to us!
Post a Comment