Thursday, April 2, 2009

Blessings

Reece has never been an affectionate child, probably because of all the pulling, touching, and stretching he has had done on him since birth. This has always really bothered me because I am a very affectionate person, and all I've ever wanted to do was snuggle and cuddle with my baby boy. Well, here lately, Reece has begun to let down some of those barriers. Maybe it has something to do with his surgery, I don't know. He used to never let me rock him at night, but now he just cuddles up to me, and we rock and sing. Yesterday, he even snuggled with me on the couch for almost 30 minutes. During these newly discovered moments with him, I can just sit and really absorb all that he is. I think about what a true blessing he is. As bad as things seem some days, they could always be so much worse. I'm so thankful that God did not put me in a position where I was parenting a child who had no hope. My child will grow up and live a normal life. Again, what a blessing. We are blessed to have so many friends and family who love us and pray for us. Some days I wonder where my strength comes from. I often forget to pray for it, but then I remember that there are others who are praying for me. Another thing I think about is the fact that Nick has a career that allows him to take off for a week to be with his son before, during, and after surgery. There are so many people out there who don't have that luxury. It's just so amazing to me how God delicately plans every detail of our lives. He places certain people in our lives, sends us in the right direction, and provides for us like no one else can. His plan is perfect for each of us. So, as I sit and relish in these long overdue cuddle sessions with Reece, I can rest easy in knowing that God is taking care of all the details for him. All I have to do is listen to what He wants me to do, do it, and He'll take care of everything else. I can't thank Him enough for what He is allowing to happen in my life!
I also realize that Reece is growing up really fast now. Since his cleft palate repair, his babbling has become more frequent, and you can really tell that he is experimenting with some new sounds. His friend, AnnaLea, has a birthday party this weekend, and yesterday we went to get her present. We were talking about it while I was getting him dressed, and as plain as day he says, "Anna." I was able to get him to do it one more time so Nick could witness it, but that was it. I was so proud of him!
He had PT twice this week to make up for missing last week. Katie was watching how he balances himself, and he is so close to being able to stand by himself. She is looking into getting him a Kaye walker like the one Haley Rudder uses. Hopefully, we will get measured for that soon and get him practicing. It should be interesting to teach Mr. Independent how to use it, but we'll get there!
So, we head back to Atlanta a week from today for a follow up with Dr. Williams. I know... long trip for just that, but we do what we have to do. Plus, we plan on taking Reece to the Georgia aquarium this trip. We've tried taking him the two other times, but we have just run out of time. I'm determined to get there this trip!
Mama is continuing to do well. She seems a bit down because she finally snapped out of the delirium, and, I think, has realized how long she's been there. They have thrown out a timeline of 7-10 more days there and possibly on to Methodist Rehab. That is just a very tentative plan and depends a lot on how she progresses in her therapy.
Oh... I wanted to mention this awesome book I discovered at Barnes and Noble yesterday. For all of you mothers of toddlers, you have to buy The Toddler's Busy Book by Trish Kuffner. It's jam-packed with ideas for games and homemade toys for kids age 1-3. I wish I would have had it for when I was teaching school. I could have used some of the stuff in there for activities with my 1st graders. I've already made the Easter egg maracas and the wave bottle, and both have been huge hits with Mr. Reece man! Just thought I'd share!
Anyway, I hope everyone has a great day! I'll post again soon!
With love,
Beth

1 comment:

Abby Jenkins said...

We have a friend at Methodist Rehab. Just wanted to say he has had excellent treatment and communication with the doctors there. His health has improved tremendously, however, he hasn't had heart problems, he has some kind of syndrome(just hit him all of the sudden at work one day) that paralyzes your body much like a stroke, so he has had to relearn to do everything. I hope your mom continues to get better.