Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Full of Surprises


Reece just keeps surprising us with all of the new tricks he has mastered.  Just this past week, he has started to initiate "pat a cake."  It took me a couple of times to realize what he was doing because he has developed his own way to clap.  Since he can't straighten his wrists all the way out, he just pats his right hand on top of his left.  When I finally realized that was what he was doing, he was so excited for me to chant "pat a cake" to him.  We're still working on "rolling it around."  In addition to clapping, he waved "bye bye" for the first real time tonight.  We had gone over to his Uncle Cass, Aunt Angie, and Kate's house to visit.  When we were leaving, they were telling him "bye bye", and he held up his little hand and opened and closed his sweet little fingers.  We were so excited!  
He has turned into a huge flirt now.  My errands take twice as long as they used to because people are always stopping me due to Reece's huge smiles he gives away.  We went to eat Mexican for lunch today (yes, again... we love it!), and as we were paying our ticket he found two girls sitting on a bench and decided to flash them a couple of smiles.  They got the biggest kick out of it!  He'd smile really big, and then bury his head in my shoulder.  Seriously, everywhere we go people comment on how happy he is.  What a compliment to us as parents!  Isn't that what all parents want for their children... to be happy?  What makes it even sweeter is how much little Reece has been through in his short 10 months here, and he still is that happy.  I hope Nick and I can always provide that for him.
The tummy issues seemed to have resolved themselves.  We went for the 2nd dose of his flu shot yesterday, and I asked about the "sample" we took in.  The nurse said that everything came back negative.  So, I guess he just had a stubborn stomach bug!  Boy, am I glad that's over with!  
Today Reece's PT, Katie, measured Reece's feet, knees, and hips.  It doesn't seem that he has gained hardly any range of motion in a couple of months.  It's a little disheartening since we work so hard with him.  She comes once a week and does a great job of stretching his little joints.  So, now I worry that it's my fault.  Of course!  I stretch him every night after his bath, but maybe I should do it more.  But then again, we play all day long, and I know he's working and stretching as he plays.  Hopefully, once he starts aquatic therapy, we'll see some improvement.
This weekend will prove to be another busy one for Master Reece.  He and his friend AnnaLea are going to have their portraits made with Santa in Brandon on Saturday morning.  AnnaLea's mom, Jessica, and I decided that we'd like to take them somewhere other than the mall.  She knew of this lady who takes pictures with Santa, so I called and set us up an appointment.  I'm a little nervous about how he will do for three reasons: # 1.  Do you remember how I said he did for his portraits a few weeks ago?  #2.  The only time she could take us was in the middle of morning naptime.  # 3.  He's probably going to be terrified of Santa.  Oh well... there has to be a first time for everything, right?  Well, what comes with Santa portraits?  A Christmas outfit that we don't have yet.  Therefore, Friday afternoon will be spent looking all over Jackson for a cute outfit to wear.  I'm hoping that I will stop in at Helen's and find the perfect one on the first try.  (I'm not holding my breath, though.)  
That's the latest on Reece for right now.  I want to also mention that our friends from Missouri, the Rudders, are going through a trying time right now.  Little Haley just had her hip and knee surgery and is in a body cast, and sweet Mason was having stomach problems and was in the hospital for a while.  Suzanne is such an inspiration to me, so I just wanted to ask for prayer for all of them.  You can read about how they are doing on their blog that is listed in my links down below.  
I'll be sure to post and let you know how the Santa portraits go!!
With love,
Beth  

No comments: