Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Just When I Need It...

We just rolled back into Brandon about an hour ago. We took off for Atlanta yesterday because Reece had an appointment with the craniofacial team there this morning. Yes, a whirlwind two days with 12 hours spent on the road with an 18 month old, but I will tell you why it's worth it. Every time we go to Atlanta, we stay at the same Comfort Suites. We've been so many times this year, the people at the front desk recognize us and always welcome us with a big smile. Last night when I was getting ready to take a bath, I realized that we only had 2 bath towels in our room. Knowing we needed at least two more, I headed back to the front desk to ask for a couple more. After handing me the towels, the lady who is one of the ones who always remembers us, proceeded to tell me what a joy it was for her to see us walk through the front door. She said, "Your baby is so adorable, and he makes me realize that whatever I am going through, I can get through it. Every time I see y'all, I just stop and tell the Lord that I know He will get me through those bad times in my life. Your little boy is such a blessing." So, there I stood in the lobby of the Comfort Suites in Atlanta with big tears in my eyes as I listened to a complete stranger tell me how my 18 month old miracle has blessed her. Nick and I have always said that we want Reece to be an inspiration to others, and he already has so many times in his short life. As I stepped back on the elevator, I leaned my head back on the wall and thanked God one more time for entrusting us with such a beautiful responsibility, raising one of His angels. Amazing stuff, huh? Ten years ago, I would have never thought that boring old me would come to have such a fulfilling life. God truly is good!
As for Reece's appointment, his cleft palate has healed well as well as his eyelids. Dr. Williams wants to see him back in a year. The speech pathologist is still a little concerned about his speech and said that it wouldn't hurt to get him back into speech therapy. The way she put it was it was our tax dollars at work, so why not use them for Reece? While Nick and I seriously don't think Reece needs speech therapy at all, we will always do everything we can for him, so I guess we'll be scheduling some speech therapy sessions soon. On a side note, Nick did let the SP listen to a clip of Reece saying "big mama" on his iPhone. I have no idea where the child picked his 1st phrase up, and while I don't like him looking at me and saying "big mama", when he laughs hysterically afterward I could really care less. After all, I guess I do look pretty big to him! Speaking of the iPhone, Reece can effectively use one now. He had mine last night on the hotel bed just tapping away. Then, on the screen where all the album art is, he knows how to slide his finger across to scroll through. Children definitely learn through imitation! I need to get it on video because it is priceless!
Back to the appointment... the pediatric dentist came in and said that Reece's teeth look great. However, we should expect for him to get braces around age 6. The inside of his mouth is shaped more like a "v", so his teeth won't have enough room. Right now, everything looks good, but I guess when his permanent teeth start coming in it will be more of a problem. Finally, we had Reece's hearing checked again. Last time they checked it, the results showed mild hearing loss. However, both of his tubes in his ears were blocked, so they wanted to retest after Dr. Carron (the ENT) replaced the tubes. As you know, he had this done back in February along with the urology surgery. I am so thrilled to say that after being tested again today, Reece scored absolutely normal! Whew! I was a little nervous about that, but it's behind us now.
So that's the summary of our Atlanta trip. We're back home and exhausted. Reece and I will head to the vet to pick Ridley up in the morning. I think I'm attached, when we got home I really missed him! Nick was excited that he could sit in his chair without getting nipped. Aww... I kinda miss the nipping! I'm sure I'll be sorry I said that this time tomorrow night:)
Take care!
With love,
Beth

2 comments:

GerryC said...

Gosh - Reece is such a little inspiration to us all. Isn't it just lovely when compete strangers even notice how special our children are! Delighted to hear that his hearing is so great too. Lots of love from Car, Ger and a much recovered Ashling X0X0X0

Meaghan said...

Glad y'all's trip went so well! Good news all around...from the doctors and from complete strangers! :) Take care!