The first few days were a challenge in keeping Reece entertained. I got crazy one day and took him and the 2 dogs on a walk. It was interesting.
He began using his arm more and more.
We did a lot of visiting. Reece's teacher had knee surgery the Wednesday after Reece's surgery. We had to get a pic of them laid up together.
We enjoyed having lunch with Aunt Suzanne, Jamie, and cousins Ally and Baylor.
Lots of sunset watching happens in the summertime!
Off with the old...
On with the new...
With Reece's impeccable luck, we decided to try it on the Georgia Lottery. I'm sorry to say we are still not millionaires.
Just last weekend, our neighborhood had a playground cleanup morning. Reece reunited with one of his old K4 buddies, and before I knew it, Reece was off to play at his house. Not a big deal to some people, but Reece has never had a playdate where I was not there with him. I went back home and sat for 2 hours worried about how he was doing. Would he ask for help if he needed it? After 2 hours, I went to pick him up, and he had a blast! He said, "Mama, we played Legos and ate blueberry biscuits and played in the tent and played video games!" I was so happy to hear all of this! I have prayed for a year that Reece would make friends around our neighborhood so that he could have that fun childhood memory. With this, I began thinking ahead and realized that getting around the neighborhood is something that may be a challenge for Reece. Even when we take a family walk, we have to take his stroller wheelchair for breaks. I entered into research mode. We could get him an electric scooter. I looked at all of the electric scooters I could find online. They all had a hand brake. Hmm... not quite sure Reece would have the strength or the extension in his fingers to operate a hand brake. Plus, balance may be a bit hard for him. Ok, so what about a go kart? A neighbor mentioned her kids use a go kart all over the neighborhood. I did a search online for those. Those are really low to the ground and of course, use a pedal. He might be ok with a pedal, but getting in and out of something so low to the ground would be difficult. I started to get a little discouraged. We just want our child to be able to get around his neighborhood. He can't hand propel his adaptive bike fast enough to keep up with other kids. Why is this so hard???!! Then, I stumbled upon a website called Mobility 4 Kids. It's a company out of North Dakota, and they make go karts for children with disabilities. The go karts are higher off of the ground than a typical go kart, and they are operated by a joystick!! You can check out the video...
I was so excited!! I immediately emailed the contact, and he called me back the next day. Now, I knew that these were not going to be like the price of a Power Wheel toy, but we weren't quite expecting the $6700 price tag. Because this is not something that is really a medical mobility device, insurance coverage is not an option. This is just a fun, recreational thing for Reece to use around the neighborhood, and we don't have $7000 lying around to dole out to cover it and shipping. We have been thinking about it, and we have decided to try fundraising for the cost. We have never fundraised for anything before, so this is new territory for us (and a bit of a pride swallower in asking for help). With all of that being said, the link for Reece's YouCaring site is listed below. We appreciate any support you give!
With love,
Beth









No comments:
Post a Comment