Monday, June 29, 2015

Acceptance

We are almost a week in to Reece wearing his new splint.  We went to have his cast removed last Wednesday, and his orthotist also molded him for his splint.   He'll be in his splint all day for 3 weeks, with 30 minute daily breaks.  After that 3 weeks, he'll wear it only at night for 3 more weeks.  We are in the process of getting occupational therapy started back up for twice weekly visits.  The therapy break has been nice. :)  There were still a couple of spots on his incision that weren't 100% healed, but thankfully we can just treat with an antibiotic cream and keep it covered with bandages.


After cast removal, we had to rewrap with his old cut cast for the night while Mr. Tony made his splint.  I took this picture because I was super proud of how awesome it looked after I did the wrapping.  Go ahead.  Ooh and ah over my mad casting skills.


Last week, Reece also attended Winshape Camp.  This was his first year to go, and he absolutely loved it!  By the second day, he was being greeted multiple times by name.  Every day after that first day, counselors told us how much they loved him and how respectful he was.  That will make a Mama's day.  He did really well, and we are so proud that we were able to talk him into participating in non-sport skills.  He ended up telling us that he was glad he didn't do sports because the skills he did were much easier for him to participate in.  He did Fast Food (putting together simple recipes), Wacky Science, and Newsroom (broadcasting).  Now, if anyone has known Reece very long, they know that he is a walking sports broadcaster.  That's pretty much all he "plays" at home.  So, he certainly had a blast with the Newsroom!  We were very pleased with Winshape.  It was very organized, a lot of fun, and they were really amazing with Reece.  He definitely wants to go back next year.




This was Reece's "Press Pass" for his Newsroom skill.  I thought it was super cute.  

 This was the very first day of camp.  I turned around, and he was gone.  He had started off to the games and wasn't really concerned with telling his very anxious mother goodbye.

 Chick Fil A Family Fun Day on the last day of camp... my little dude got up there and really showed his stuff.  During lunch, his main counselor (below) said that Reece had them crying in worship one day because he was just so inspiring throwing that little casted arm up, singing, and dancing.   Yeah, he will do that to you sometimes.

 His fast food counselor, Tay and Nikki, his main counselor
Nikki also told me that even when Reece was obviously worn slap out (Camp was from 7:45-5:00 every day), he still wanted to participate and try everything.

 Bryce, his Newsroom counselor... He thanked me for sending Reece and giving him the honor of hanging out with him all week.

 This is his Wacky Science professor... I feel bad I can't remember her first name.  Reece called her Professor _________________ (really wacky name that was hard to pronounce.)
 Giving it all he had in soccer on the last day

 Making rice krispie treats in Fast Food

These are videos from Family Fun Day...
The first one is Reece's broadcast about Worship time.


The second one is him breaking it down.  I just loved it!  I had a huge smile and big crocodile tears while trying to record it.


The third video is Reece joining in on the fun of chasing the Chick Fil A cow with a pool noodle.  Funny how weird stuff like this triggers tears...



We had our small group 4th of July party this past Saturday, and we had a blast.  Reece had Seth over to spend the night, and they were super excited to see each other after a month apart!  

 Hanging out with Lola

 Reece got to play with Peyton and Conner

 After Reece talked so much about his Wacky Science skill at camp, Nick ordered him a kit online.  This was the scene Sunday morning as they exploded things on the screened porch.


 This is going to go down as one of my favorite pictures of all time.  I love the way Seth has his little arm hooked through Reece's.  This is a true friendship with a very unique bond.

Reece is now at Camp Moni as we call it.  He's spending a couple of nights with them while we are at work.  Nick and I miss him tremendously when he's not here, but I know he's having a good time.  We've taken walks last night and tonight to enjoy the beautiful weather and sunsets we've had here.



  I'm off on Thursday, and Reece and I will be heading to Memphis for his spine and lowers orthopedic appointment.  It'll be a quick day trip, so please pray for safe travels and a good report.  

In fundraising news, with donations coming in on his You Caring site and just through people sending him money, Reece has reached over 1/2 of his goal toward his adapted go kart.  We have been absolutely blown away with the generosity people have shown and honestly, quite speechless at times.  It is just so incredibly heartwarming to read the comments posted by others on his fundraising site.  I'm not quite sure we will ever get used to the overwhelming feeling when other people, sometimes strangers, tell us just how much our son has touched their lives.  It really is mind boggling and puts things in perspective.  It reminds us just how blessed we are to be on this special, although frustrating at times, journey.  You know, the word "special" has struck a nerve with Reece lately, and we had to have a conversation about it last week.  I made the remark that people were being so kind to him by donating money for his special go kart.  He immediately started pouting and got really quiet.  After I finally pulled it out of him, he said "I didn't realize that it was going to be "special."  Somewhere along the way, Reece has heard that word and realized it meant different.  It's become a negative word for him.  Our world is surrounded by "special" needs.  We sat down and talked about what exactly it means.  How "special" doesn't define him.  Yes, he is special in the same way everyone is.  God created us all to be unique, but special needs is not who he is.  He may HAVE special needs, but he IS NOT special needs.  I've been really sensitive to this over the last few days and cringe when I hear others say "She is Downs." or "He's a little autistic boy."  I cringe because now I understand.  How many times may I have said that in the past not really understanding the difference in putting people first?  Again, my little boy has taught me something.  I also got to hear him teach someone else.  I had asked him to tell Seth all about his friends coming over for our party on Saturday.  Seth is incredibly compassionate, and I knew he would understand what Reece was telling him.  I didn't tell him what to say he just started "My friend, Matthew, he doesn't talk much.  He has special needs too, but he has something called autism.  He's really nice."  After I sent them outside to get games ready (Seth was the athletic director.  Reece was the coordinator.), they came in and said that they had it all planned out.  Carolyn Jane was going to throw the first pitch, and she was also going to bat first.  Since she was in her wheelchair, she could run really fast.  I just sat back and thought "Wow.  Thank you, Lord for acceptance.  Thank you that while they may not fully get it, they get it somewhat and are including others.  Thank you, Lord, that Reece can not only be an example but can teach."  Later on, he insisted everyone giving another friend with autism a second chance at kickball because he didn't understand the first time.  I was so extremely proud of him.  Now, this not to say he won't mess up one day and say something inappropriate or behave poorly, but in those moments I was so very proud of him.  I continue to pray that he finds his way in this world, where "special" only defines him as "fearfully and wonderfully made."
With love,
Beth

No comments: