On top of dealing with that, Nick had a difficult conversation with Reece the other day. Reece has been talking about playing 2nd grade football (something we found out later doesn't even exist). Nick explained to him that because of his fused vertebrae in his neck, he will never be able to play football. Despite my encouraging him by saying there were other things he could do and still be on the team, he reacted with anger. I could tell he was trying to process feelings that he couldn't quite verbalize. Nick and I spent the rest of the night brokenhearted.
Two weeks ago, we had to deal with a child making fun of Reece at school. One day when I picked up Reece at after school care, I heard the child say to his mother, "Look at him, Mama! He looks hilarious!" The mother shushed the child, and they walked out the door. After talking with Reece's teacher, I found out it was the same child had said something a few weeks prior. The mother ended up apologizing to me face to face the next day. In talking with Reece about it, he told me "Mama, it's ok. There's nothing for you to worry about. I was ready for it." He also didn't understand why a kid making fun of him on frequent basis was so wrong. I was so struck by his attitude. He is truly the most precious soul I know. I will get on my soapbox for a minute now. Please, please, please take the time to to talk with your typical children about how to interact with their peers who may not be their idea of "the same as them." People with disabilities are not something about which you shush your children. I would much rather you take the time to explain Reece's "differences" to your child than completely avoid the topic. Not sure about what he has going on? Just ask. But don't ask "What's WRONG with him?". Nothing is wrong with any of God's creation. Ask "Can you tell me a little bit about Reece?" I'll start by telling you that he is 7 years old and loves anything related to sports. He's very bright and has recently discovered a love for reading. Reece just happened to be born with a rare genetic mutation where he didn't move correctly in the womb. He's been through way too many surgeries and therapies for age 7, but he has done it all with an amazing attitude. Encourage your children to interact with those who sport different ways of doing things. You might be surprised at what my child can teach yours.
On the bright side, Reece did start his Challenger League baseball. His last game got rained out, and we have his next one this Saturday morning. I'm hoping he's well enough for it.
Reece's sweet teacher was recognized as one of our local tv station's Outstanding Teacher of the Week.
We are definitely enjoying the warmer weather around here!
Never in my life have I been able to fly a kite. Last weekend, we did it with ease! Nick and I were a lot more excited than Reece was. He hung with us for about 5 minutes then went back inside.
Today is Hawaiian field day at his school. I'm hoping he has a blast!
Nick and I escaped to Seaside for a mommy-daddy weekend two weekends ago. We started our romantic weekend at IHOP.
I took the opportunity to snap pictures that made me happy while I was there.
Nick and I went for the tandem bike for the first time. Hehe. There's definitely a learning curve, but we had fun!
Lots of hammock time!
More sights of Seaside...
The sun didn't shine much, but we were able to walk along the beach to this amazing sunset the first night.
Lots of cool looking jellyfish
Probably our favorite meal in Seaside... Steamed shrimp from The Shrimp Shack
Feet relaxing in the hammock...
and the beach
Wouldn't be a Seaside trip without a grilled cheese from Meltdown on 30a!
We sent a message to Reece while he was at Super Bulldog Weekend with Moni and Daddy Da. I think he had a blast too!
We tried out a fancy restaurant we had been wanting to try for while- Cafe Thirty-A. Eh... we preferred the steamed shrimp overlooking the beach instead of our meals here. They were pretty though.
We have another fun trip to Seaside planned with old friends in September! We can't wait! Reece is so excited to be going to the beach with other kids. More memories to be made!
With love,
Beth





















1 comment:
I like your advice on approaching children who are different. I hope I keep this in the back of my head and use it when I need to.
Seaside trip looks amazing!
Hope Reece feels better asap!
Post a Comment