Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Flawless

"Mama, turn up the radio.  I really like this song!"

"No matter the bumps 
No matter the bruises 
No matter the scars 
Still the truth is 
The cross has made 
The cross has made you flawless 
No matter the hurt 
Or how deep the wound is 
No matter the pain 
Still the truth is 
The cross has made 
The cross has made you flawless"



I had never even listened to the words of that song, but boy was I touched when I heard Reece singing it in in the backseat.  I know the song was written about your heart, but who knows what was going through Reece's mind?  
We are now less than 2 weeks from surgery day.  We had his follow up with the pulmonologist last week, and he said he sees no reason why we can't proceed with it.  We did have unexpected bloodwork drawn to test Reece's immunoglobulin.  From what I understand, we will be able to see if something is not working right with his immune system, or if he just has really bad allergies.  Reece was such a trooper with the blood draw.  At first, he went into a panic attack and literally fell out on the table.  But, they were able to place numbing cream on his foot, and he never even flinched when the needle pierced his skin.  I might add that when the idea of numbing cream was voiced by Dr. Majure, Reece immediately asked "Has it ever not worked?"  My child the worrier...  I hope the trip to the OR goes as smoothly as the blood draw, but I'm thinking it's going to be pretty rough.  He's not sleeping well, and he says it's because he can't get his mind to stop thinking about surgery.  I've had to reassure him multiple times because he said he knows some people die in surgery.  Although, a few weeks ago he asked me why people were scared of dying.  He said he didn't see the reason to be scared because you get to go live with Jesus.  This was followed up by "If you were an astronaut, and you got lost in space and you floated above space, would you float up to Heaven?"  Again, my child the deep thinker.     I will be so ready when this is over!  Pre-op called today to schedule an appointment for the day prior to surgery.  They didn't ask any questions.  Usually, I get a phone call telling me to go online and fill out the medical history form, and then they call.  This time it was just a call to set up the appointment.  Now, I'm really anxious that we will drive all the way to Atlanta only for them to tell us that surgery is a no go.

Reece brought home his first C today, and he went to absolute pieces.  I mean, pieces, people.  Full blown hyperventilating with crying...  Again, my child the perfectionist.  All I said when I looked at his paper was "Reece", and the meltdown ensued.  Bless his sweet soul.  He got every bit of his mother's insides.  I finally managed to calm him down, but then at bedtime "I can't believe I made a C.  That's horrible."  I told him that was probably not going to be his last C, but as long as he learns from his mistakes, it'll be just fine.

Mother's Day was a busy day.  I did start it out with breakfast in bed...

  The Saturday before, we moved my Mama back home from assisted living.  She'll have a sitter with her 5 days a week, and she's so happy to be home.  I can't say I blame her.  We picked her up Sunday around noon and headed to Nick's aunt's cabin for a fish fry.  Reece managed to score a 250 water balloon set from the pulmonologist's office (Even after he refused any sort of prize from them, they insisted.) So, the afternoon was completed with a water ballon fight.  Reece and I were enjoying our new backyard space the other afternoon, and I held my phone up and said "Reece, let's get a selfie for Mother's Day."  As soon as I said it, this is what he did...


Doesn't get much better than that!  Here's how we have spruced up our backyard patio...


We are super excited about how it turned out and can't wait to have friends and family over to enjoy it.  For now, Reece has asked every night if we can eat outside.  I think he likes it too!

We are wrapping up his Challenger League season, and he has done so well!  He's hit the ball first swing, every time!  We are so blessed to have this sort of organization near us.





Oh, baby boy, do you have to grow up?  With another surgery on the horizon, it should be like getting back on a bicycle.  But it's not.  I'm dealing with all of the same feelings I had when we sent him to the OR for four hours at 4 months old.  This child is the sole reason I get up every morning (and not because he likes to wake me up).  He has the sweetest spirit, the best attitude, and all of my heart.  I'm not quite sure what I would do without him.  With another surgery, I start thinking back at all we have been through with him, and I'm really taken aback.  It's hard to believe we have lived all of it.  I catch myself thinking,  "Wait.  That was all happening to us?"  Yet, it became our normal so quickly.  I thank God for those experiences.  "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."  James 1:2-4
And, I thank God every day for His gift of Reece- "fearfully and wonderfully made"---- flawless.

With love,
Beth
  

1 comment:

The Long Family said...

I love the selfie. Can't believe he's so big..
Let us know if you need anything next week when you're here.