Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Reece's First Spend-the-Night

Our first spend-the-night can go down as a success!  I picked up two very excited 6 year old boys in carpool Friday afternoon and took them to Sonic for Happy Hour cherry cokes!


 After that, we went home for a little while where they played outside.




You can tell there was a lot of thinking going into these football plays.
 Pretty soon it was time to head over to Madison where we were going to see the new Muppets movie.  I gave them lots of choices for where they wanted to eat beforehand, and Corner Bakery was the winner.  I now can see why everyone always talks about how hard it is to feed teenage boys because these two 6 year old boys put away some macaroni and cheese in no time flat!  (And, no, their matching shirts were not planned.  Their moms just happen to think alike when it comes to school spring pictures.  :)


From Corner Bakery, we headed over to the theater where they practiced being Muppets in front of the movie sign.  







We had a few minutes and quarters to spare, so I let them go into the arcade and play some games.  Of course they had to play the classic Claw game, and Seth picked up two toys on his first try.  Reece, on the other hand, spent all of his quarters playing the game about 4 times and came up empty handed.  It was a good lesson in money management for him, but I won't be taking him to a casino any time soon!  Boy does he get sucked in!  After spending all of the quarters in less than 10 minutes, they wanted to get some Dippin Dots.  So, we watched the cool machine dispense them each a little bowl and then, of course, they wanted something to drink at the concession stand.  On to the movie we went.  They sat in their seats and ate all of their ice cream in complete silence.  Then, I could sense it.  Drowsiness was settling in.


I looked over at about 20 minutes into the movie, and they were both fighting with some very heavy eyelids.  Of course, after it was over, they were ready to go home and play glow in the dark football with Daddy!  Wonder who had more fun?




I told them they had until 10:00 before they had to go to bed.  By 9:30, they were both asking if they could go to bed.  I think it's safe to say they were officially worn out.
At 2:00 the next morning, I got up to check on them...  Reece is under Itty Bit, the bunny.


The next morning, I was somehow talked into letting them open up one of Reece's Christmas presents that goes in the bathtub.  Yes, he still has unopened Christmas presents.  We are saving them for the new house so we don't have to deal with taking them apart and packing them up.  Surprisingly, Reece hasn't asked to put any together.  And, surprisingly, they really didn't make a mess at all playing in the water.  Not sure what was about to come out of Reece's mouth in this pic.  Some sort of plan, I'm sure.


I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by how well they did together.  It wasn't until like the last 15 minutes of "togetherness" that they started to get a little grumpy with one another.  I have two favorite conversations of the night.  The first one was while we were sitting at Sonic-
Seth:  "Reece, can I touch your arm?  Is that your scar?  Do your scars make you ticklish?"  I honestly didn't hear Reece's response because I was concentrating on choking back tears.  I don't know why, but my heart just melted from the pure innocence in the backseat.  Only a child would think something like that.  Wish they could keep that innocence forever...
The second conversation occurred as we were going over the Reservoir on the way to the movie-
Seth: "I'm going to go kayaking when I'm 25."
Reece:  "25!  That's after you get married!  Maybe you can do that on your honeymoon."

With love,
Beth

3 comments:

Danita said...

He's growing up! What an awesome job you and Nick are doing!!!

Danita said...

He's growing up! What an awesome job you and Nick are doing!!!

Aunt Debbie said...

I love my family!