Tuesday, March 18, 2014
Always My Baby
Last Thursday we took Reece for his testing with the psychologist at UMC. It was primarily to check him for ADD. Nick and I talked with the doctor first in his office without Reece, and then we sent our little man in by himself for the next hour. We sat outside the office wondering what kind of things Reece was coming up with in there. I should add that on our way to the appointment Reece wanted to know what kind of doctor we were going to see. I really had no idea how to explain it without worrying him, so I just told him "He's just going to see how smart you are." Because he is my child, he automatically came up with something to worry about. "But, Mama, what if he says I'm not smart? What happens then?" In true Daddy fashion, Nick says "Well, we'll just trade you in for a kid that is." Reece grinned after that. Thanks, Daddy.
So, after an hour of testing, the doctor called us back in. He told us that Reece does not have ADD, and there is certainly no reason to hold him back in kindergarten. He said that Reece was able to focus really well on the tasks he gave him and for long periods of time. He told us that his sequential memory was extremely good, and the only real struggle he had was with visual perception skills. He said he believes that is due to his physical limitations. So, he said his recommendation would be for the school to make a few accommodations for Reece, particularly when it comes to allowing extra time for him to finish his work and not giving him as much writing as his peers. I was so relieved after hearing this because this is exactly what I said needed to be done, and he didn't even know it. I don't know why the validation made me feel better. Mamas always know their kids the best right? Maybe after 6 years of advocating for my sweet boy, I needed to know that I've still got it. Ha! So, that is behind us.
Now if I can get finding- cute sandals-to-fit-his-feet behind me... All I can say is I LOVE Zappos.com. Over the past week, I have ordered 5 or 6 pairs of sandals for Reece. I have sent all but one pair back. The doctors told us from the beginning that his feet would never be easy to fit shoes on, and that was one thing they've actually been right about! The thing about sandals is the strap that most of them have going across the top part of the foot. Because he's had it lengthened, I can tell you that it's actually the anterior tibial tendon. Aren't you impressed? Well, just because he had it lengthened doesn't mean it isn't tight. Pair that with the tendency his feet have to pull back toward his shin, and that strap is so uncomfortable for him. Bless his heart. When I opened our Zappos box today, I casually told Reece "I hope these fit. I'm tired of sending shoes back." Pair 1 didn't work, so we tried pair 2. He started walking around, and he said "These are fine." I could tell they were not. I was like "Reece, if they hurt tell me." He said, "I'm sorry, Mama. They do kinda hurt. I know you're tired of sending shoes back." Can I just tell you that my heart melted? He was looking out for me. He did something similar the other day by helping me in the kitchen. I can't really remember exactly what it was, but I do remember him saying "I know you're tired, Mama. I don't mind doing it." As hard as I've tried to hide it, he's picked up on me feeling slightly overwhelmed with life. I definitely don't want to worry him, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me a little more appreciated that someone noticed how I've been trying to be everything to everybody. Weird, but it lifted a little bit off of me when he said that. Gosh, I love our little boy so, so much. We were at horse riding this afternoon, and when we were walking to the car I just bent down and kissed him several times on the cheek. He was like "Maaama! You don't have to squeeze me so hard!" Another parent was watching, and she said "Maaama! Don't you know you can't do that in public any more?" Well, I have news for Mr. Reece, his Mama will be grabbing him and kissing him until he's stronger than she is! Which, lucky me, he has muscle weakness, so that might be a while! Ha. A little special needs mother humor there. One of those jokes only we can make and it be ok.
Yesterday after school I took Reece to meet with the children's pastor at our church. They call it a testimony review, and it's basically just to make sure children really understand what it means to be saved. He talked with Reece and one question he asked was "What made you decide you wanted follow Jesus?" Reece's response? "I knew I didn't want to lay in that fire with Satan." Yeah, the pastor wrote that one down. There was one other response he wrote down, and I cannot for the life of me remember what it was. At least he did write it down! We talked about baptism and tentatively set a date for June 25. I can't tell you how proud I am of him. I sat back and listened to him talk with the pastor and he was just so grown up. I pray that the Holy Spirit continues to dwell in him and use him for God's glory.
This weekend is the weekend Reece has been planning for literally a month. No kidding. We have heard about it every day for a whole month. He and his best bud Seth have planned a sleepover. They have all of the details down. Seth is going to ride home with us in carpool, and then we are going out to eat and then we are going to see the new Muppets movie in Madison, and we are going to get some Dippin Dots while we are there, but Mama you'll have to go with us because we don't have any money, oh wait, maybe I can take my wallet, and then Seth is going to spend the night at our house. And, yes, all of the plans are given in one long run-on sentence. I have to stop and remind him to breathe. Don't worry. I'll take pictures.
With love,
Beth
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Beth i reminded myself the other day that you were my first contact with Escobars. Boy have we come a long way since then. We were very naive then and unsure of what was happening. But....how times have changed!! I feel that Reece and Roxy are very similar in alot of ways. Very strong characters both of them and both very intelligent. Aren't we lucky to have them in our lives. xxxxx
Post a Comment