When we drove up, Reece said "I thought they would NEVER get started!" He's having fun watching all of the machinery. I captured this picture yesterday. I thought he looked just like my Daddy who was a civil engineer and built a lot of roads! He always liked to oversee things. :)
I loved how it turned out. I accidentally had a filter on my camera phone (didn't even know it did that), but it made it really nostalgic.
Thursday we should have concrete, and our plans are to put Reece's footprints in it somewhere as well as a few Bible verses. This home is going to mean so much to us on so many levels. It's so exciting.
Reece had his 10th surgery last Friday. Until I went back and actually counted, I thought it was #9. Everything went well. This one was for new ear tubes and an airway scope. When surgery was scheduled, Reece had a retracted eardrum and lots of fluid in both ears. When Dr. Carron got in there, there was no fluid but the eardrum was still retracted. He said he almost forewent the tube placement, but he thought he should go by what he saw in clinic. So, he now has new tubes. Praising God that his airway showed no abnormalities past his tongue. They've always told us that his mouth is small and his tongue sits back much further than typical. There were no problems with intubation this time, although Dr. Carron said his neck tightness did make it really difficult. He told us to watch his cervical spine as he grows to make sure the tightness doesn't cause any problems there. Remember intubation in October knocked out one loose tooth? This one knocked two out. Poor Tooth Fairy is broke! Needless to say, he's having to adjust his chewing!
In other Reece news, after seeing a post on one of our support boards regarding tiring during handwriting, I decided to ask Reece's teacher about how he's doing with that in school. Turns out he is tiring really quickly with writing and she wants to meet in January to talk more about it. Well, you know me! I went into immediate research mode trying to find options for him to use within the classroom. I've found a device where he could type his work and then send it wirelessly to his teacher's computer, but I'm waiting to order it until I hear more from his teacher and OT. I was kinda bummed to hear he was having problems. I guess I thought she'd email me back saying he was doing great keeping up with his peers. After talking with other Escobar moms and adults, there are very few who have not used something to help with writing in school. I start getting nervous when we have to ask for "special" things for Reece because we chose to place him in a private school where accommodations are not required by law. This is where having only physical disabilities is hard because his mind is developed enough to be challenged there, but asking for special things feels like a burden. And, it's just me being weird because they have been nothing but open and accommodating for him. They were going to install whatever was needed for him in the bathroom, until he up and figured something out on his own! I think it's just my independent, don't want to bother anyone mindset that makes me worry. That, and I don't want anyone to sigh when they have to help Reece with something. I've never verbalized that, but he either inherited that same trait or has picked up on it, because he worries about asking for help at school a lot. My one consolation is that his school is a Christian school, so it's full of people with compassion. I am so thankful for that.
Tomorrow, Reece has his follow up with Dr. Carron. Thursday, Nick and I have big plans to finish up Christmas shopping. Thursday night has been designated Guys' Night mainly because the Amtryke that our family helped have custom made for Reece is coming in Wednesday, and Reece's physical therapist, Bethany, and our Little Light House PT, Mary Virginia, have a "put together" party scheduled. It should be quite the experience. Somehow Nick got out of this. Oh wait, I know why. Because he gets way too frustrated when putting things together, and I'd rather just tackle it myself than have him stress out. :) So, he and Reece are going to go see The Hobbit at the movie theater. My biggest fear? Reece will not be as excited about his Amtrkye as I want him to be. It happens almost every Christmas... his big gift he could care less about. We were so crushed when Santa brought him a swingset a few years ago, and all he wanted to do was go back inside and play with his dvds.
So, I'm sure my next post will be all about Christmas happenings! Until then...




1 comment:
Not really anything to do with your post but I love the sidebar. Not sure if there were yearly pictures before or just random ones.
I'm going to love the house progression.
Post a Comment