Oh, how I've held onto that hope for the last few years! Now, we are approaching surgery #9 for Reece, and I've lost my grip on that hope. The first 3 years we spent our lives in surgery mode. We'd finish one just to schedule another. It became a routine. Now, we have become so comfortable out of that routine that it seems like unfamiliar territory again. I just spent 30 minutes talking to Reece about his surgery on Friday and trying my best to douse any fear. Unfortunately, I have passed down my "what if" problem to him. His little mind is going nonstop. It has been 2 years since his last surgery, and he definitely understands more. This time more than any of the others I just want to call the doctor and cancel the whole thing. The only thing that keeps me going is thinking about his future and not the now. Trying to explain to a child that a doctor is going to fix his eyes while at the same time trying to instill in him that there's nothing wrong with him has got to be one of the biggest challenges of my life. One Escobar mom told me that her son (around 10 at the time I believe) asked her if God would be mad at him for fixing his legs since He made them. This is something I can hear Reece saying in the future, and it's so hard to try to explain it. I pray so much for that wisdom only God can give.
Please remember Reece Friday morning at 7:30 a.m EST. The oculoplastic surgeon will go in and take a slice of tendon from his thigh and attach his nonworking middle eyelid muscle to his eyebrow muscle on both eyes. The surgery is scheduled for 2 hours. His leg may be a little sore, and his eyes will be pretty swollen and bruised. We are not sure if we will stay overnight in the hospital yet or not. We will head back a week later for post op check up.
Specific prayer requests-
* Peace for his Reece's little mind
* Reassurance for me and Nick
* Short recovery with minimal discomfort
* Successful surgery with obvious improvement in eyelid function
* Steady doctor hands and calming nurses
* No problems with anesthesia
With love,
Beth
This is what Reece thought of his eye surgery back in March 2009. :) This surgery involved only removing excess skin on his eyelids. We were told back then to expect him to have to have the surgery he's having on Friday.
2 comments:
I will definitely say some prayers. Let us know if you need anything while you are here.
I was not sure what type of surgery Reece was having so I checked here this morning. I hope you are on your way home and all is well! I do understand a little of what you are going through. Our son had to have a good number of eye surgeries several years ago and it is so hard to watch as your baby goes through such hard things physically and emotionally. You and Nick are awesome parents and I know that God will bring you through this even stronger than before. I will continue to keep you all in my prayers. Sending my love and a hug to sweet Reece!! Janet Allen
Post a Comment