On top of getting ready for the fundraiser, we had new bamboo floors put down in all of our bedrooms this week. To save a few hundred bucks, we decided to rip up the carpet and move the furniture ourselves. This has been about a 3 week project, but I'm happy to say that we are 75% finished putting everything back in order! After one night of Nick and I sleeping in the living room on our mattress, and two nights of Reece sleeping on our bedroom floor, we are all back in our respective beds tonight! We have trashed so much stuff. It feels really good to simplify and declutter! I must remember this when I have the urge to buy something for the house or save something, just in case.
Reece is doing really well in school. In fact, he's a little bummed that I'm keeping him home tomorrow for drs' appointments. I have the day off tomorrow, and he has eye, dental, and orthotist appointments as well as aquatic therapy. Oh wait, maybe I don't really have the day off tomorrow. I'll rephrase... I have a day off from teaching tomorrow. I was so overjoyed the other day when I received an email from Reece's teacher. He had come home a week ago telling me that he had swung all by himself at after school. I praised him, but I was very skeptical. I mentioned it to his teacher at the field trip last Friday, and she too was very surprised and skeptical. She told me that she would check with his afterschool teacher and get back with me. Well, she didn't have to. That Monday, she witnessed it herself. Her email said-
"Hi Beth,
Hope you have had a great day! Reece did swing today!! I tried to take a picture with my phone but I couldn't get it to work. The swings are low so he can touch the ground. He wrapped his arms around the chain and lifted his feet. He had fun!! I will bring my camera soon and take some pictures while they are playing!!"
I was ecstatic. This is so big for him not only physically, but also just as a confidence booster. He is so proud of himself. We have noticed him doing a lot more independently- using the couch to slide down to the floor, opening snacks with his scissors, going down the slide when no one is outdoors with him, and using the potty without having to have someone in the room with him. This is exactly what I had hoped would happen with my going back to work. I know that I do too much for him when he's with me, and I don't do it consciously. It's just habit. I've done so many things for him over the past 4 years, that I don't even think about the fact that "hey, he can probably do that himself." I'm so proud of him!
He and I had a hard conversation the other night, and it really shows how connected we are. For the past few weeks, having another child has been on my mind. Nick and I have discussed options for sterilization as we have decided not to have any more biological children. Nick is not comfortable with adoption, but I keep having it come up in my mind. So, anyway, I've really struggled with it for the past few weeks. I will pause here to say that I am the proud great aunt of Miss Allyn Bristol Byrd as of this past Monday. I may be biased, but I think she's pretty darn adorable! Reece and I went to see her the day she was born, and I guess it made him think. That night he asked me when we would have a baby. I fumbled for words and came up with " You are our baby." But then he said, "I really, really want a teeny tiny baby that I can help you feed a bottle to." Swallowing hard, I fumbled around for some words and then changed the subject quickly. I know it will come up again one day, but I just hope it's not any time soon.
I'll end this post with several pictures from the past few weeks.
Several weeks ago, the MS State fair was in town. Reece wasn't in to the little rides. He wanted to ride the flying rides, the roller coasters, and the "Tower of Terror" as he called it. Yes, we have ourselves a little daredevil, which is just fine with his daredevil daddy. Notice who he wanted to ride with him :) Which is just fine for this non-daredevil mama.
No hands!
He was so excited to ride this "ride like the Tower of Terror"
Didn't scare him one bit... laughed the whole time!
Reece so proud of his new fish Bully. Unfortunately, Bully didn't last very long. I had no idea Reece would be as devastated as he was, but he shed lots of tears. His reply when I broke the news to him? "But, I didn't feed him too much, Mama." Broke my heart. There is a happy ending, though. After a proper backyard burial, Bully's legacy is being carried on by not only Bully II, but also Saints. Reece now has two betta fish (separated by a divider of course), who he talks to like the dogs. He loves to feed them and help me clean the tank.
Ahh, the pumpkin patch with 4 year olds. Better yet? Trying to get a group picture when the sun is shining in their eyes.
Reece wanted to find the "heaviest" pumpkin to pick. It also had to be completely dry (no morning dew) and complete with a stem. Notice this one. It has no stem. That became a problem after the picture was taken, so this stemless pumpkin didn't come home with Reece.
Reece wanted to try out these swings. Thanks to a sweet mama, I was able to help him out while she snapped this picture.
Here we are with sweet Ally. Reece was proud, but maybe a bit jealous. After I had been holding her a while, he told me that I had to share her with someone who hadn't had a turn yet.
The animals and the kid thought having Mama and Daddy's mattress in the middle of the living room was great fun. Glad somebody enjoyed it.
Friday afternoon, Reece decorated some material for his horse's costume contest. Nick couldn't help but get in the glitter too :)
On the way to the horse farm's fall festival, this Hulk crashed instead of smashed.
It's hard work carrying around all those muscles.
Reece and Ms. Callie, the precious trainer and owner at High Hopes Farm.
Waiting to ride...
Applejack and Reece in coordinating costumes
Reece is charming the judge :)
The therapeutic horse riders at High Hopes











2 comments:
Sounds super busy. Looks like y'all are doing well though.
He is the cutest little Hulk!!!
Post a Comment