First stop was the library where we got to visit with one of Reece's first friends, Mrs. June, the children's librarian! We used to go to Mother Goose Lapsit every week, and she hadn't seen Reece since he started walking without his walker. She was in awe of him.
Coloring with the guys
Posing with the girls
Practicing putting out a fire at our next stop- the fire station!
Fireman Reece!
A quick family shot
Ever try to get a group of 4 year olds to all smile and look the same way?
Hanging out at the playground with Caroline!
Taking a rest in the rocking boat
Reece has learned all of his vowels at school, and according to him, he has now begun learning "icons" aka consonants :) He's doing really well at school and has finally started to enjoy doing schoolwork. He practices his letters and numbers all the time at home without having to be asked. His teacher and I have found a couple of activities for him to do on the playground, and he seems to be having a better time. She told me last week he had really begun exploring it more. That made me feel so much better. What did not make me feel very good? The fact that I received an email from his teacher letting me know that he had called another child a butthead after he would not play with Reece. The teacher assured me that Reece was copying another child's words, but I was still so upset. Of course, today when he came home and said 3 boys told him to stop following them because they didn't want to play with him, I felt like confronting all of them and calling them a butthead too.
Today he told me that he wanted to be like the boys in his class so he learned how to turn off the light. I asked him how he did it, and he said "Well, I pushed the trash can out of the way, pushed my bench over to wall, climbed up and did it. Just like the other boys." When I asked if Mrs. Janet told him to do that he said "no." I kept digging. " Well, what did she say?" "She said that was so good." Yeah, I'm thinking Mrs. Janet probably didn't know what to say when he had gone to so much trouble to do something he wasn't supposed to be doing.
In other news, The Little Light House won $10,000 by having the most votes during Jackson Restaurant Week! We are so excited that God has blessed this little school so richly! Next up is our big fundraiser on the 27th where yours truly will be participating in the Peanuts Gang theme as Lucy Van Pelt. Reece really despises the wig that goes with my costume! He immediately tells me to take it off.
Next Monday, Nick and I will become a great uncle and great aunt. Sweet Allyn Bristol Byrd will be welcomed into the world, and I can't wait to get my hands on her!
Reece also has a pulmonologist appointment next Monday. He wanted to see Reece before the big cold/flu/RSV season hit full swing. About 2 weeks ago, I was convinced Reece was catching RSV again. He had a cough that just ended 5 days ago, and I was super paranoid. Thank the good Lord above that he never ran fever, so he was RSV clear.
Right now the Barham household is a total wreck! We are having hardwood floors installed in all 3 bedrooms, and Nick and I have been ripping out carpet. It's not that bad, I just hate having my house out of sorts. The guy comes on the 25th, so I will breathe a little easier after that.
Reece has been having lots of knee pain the last few days. Every night he asks me to rub Biofreeze on them before bed. I'm not sure what to make of it because I have him on the multivitamin with iron to combat his low ferritin level, but no results yet. I just can't imagine how frustrating it must be for him.
Ok, well, I posted, so I feel better. Maybe I can find time to post again this weekend with pictures of our trip to the MS State Fair.
With love,
Beth
1 comment:
Good to hear from you. I love the field trip pictures, esp the family shot. I love your stories. At least he is finding ways to do things on his own instead of giving up. Y'all have taught him to have a positive attitude.
Post a Comment