This trip was filled with so many blessings that I don't even know where to begin. The first blessing began with the Angel Flight to Atlanta. We were treated like royalty, and it felt so surreal. We just happened to get one of the biggest planes for our trip there. The pilot and copilot arrived, took our bags, had pictures made with us, strapped Reece's carseat in, and helped us up into the plane. We were in the air for 1 hour 20 minutes as opposed to 6 hours in the car. Once we arrived in Atlanta, we landed at a different airport than originally planned. They had someone pick us up, drive us 30 minutes to the other airport where our rental car was waiting. While I signed the rental paper work, the "Earth Angel" got the keys and pulled it right up to the door. He hugged and kissed us good-bye, and we were on our way. I can't type all of this without mentioning the man responsible for getting us hooked up with Angel Flight. Our sweet neighbor, Ray Leninger, who lives two houses down from us suggested this to us as he is a retired Angel pilot. He went out of his way both at our departure and our arrival back home. He was at the airport at 7:45 Tuesday morning when we left with camera in hand and all the information on our flight. He kept in touch with us about our return flight during the trip, and then he met us at the Jackson airport when we returned home yesterday morning with his precious wife, Alice, took more pictures, then drove us 20 minutes to the Madison airport to pick up our car. Our flight home was amazing as well since Reece scored the 2nd largest plane in the fleet for that. Not only did he manage that, but there was an air show at the Peachtree/Dekalb airport where we were supposed to take off yesterday. Angel Flight received special clearance, and our plane was the only plane allowed to land and take off. All other air traffic was stopped. I told Reece he literally "stopped traffic." The flight coordinator even met us at the airport to see us off, take pictures, and present us with a goody bag full with special things for Reece. Our pilots on both flights were absolutely amazing, and we couldn't thank them enough for what they were doing.
Once we arrived in Atlanta, we headed into a very special "home away from home," the Ronald McDonald House. Reece instantly made friends with Devin, a 15 year old boy facing some life-threatening illnesses. His mother told me that the doctors have given Devin 2 years to live. I've been praying for healing for him several times throughout the day. This young man treated Reece like a little brother, helping him kick the football outside, watching movies with him, and just held him in his lap. They formed a very special bond. At the RMH, we were also treated with amazing kindness. Home-cooked meals were provided by volunteers every night, and food was brought in for all of us to just help ourselves to during the day. Cari, the house manager, took up with the kids, joking and carrying on with them. Again, I felt so undeserving of the kindness we received. There were other children there facing some very serious illnesses, and here we were with Reece, who, although will have a challenging life, his life is not at risk. I broke down yesterday and cried because of the guilt I felt. Isn't that crazy? There's no doubt that with my surgery and the surgery we're still paying for Reece's right hand, that the financial help this charity provided was a huge stress relief. We were there 4 nights. Meals and hotel expenses along with the boarding of the dogs would have really hurt us, so I don't know why I feel so guilty. Nick helped to put it in perspective by telling me to look at how much fun Reece had there. One of the first things he said after his surgery was that he was ready to go back to the RMH. Even when we got home yesterday, he said, "I had fun at the RMH. When we go back to Atlanta, we can go back there." So, I'm trying to push that guilt down and just be grateful that we were able to stay there. I can honestly say that I was a little sad yesterday when we left. We had made so many wonderful friends there and become connected with their stories, that I really hated to leave. It was like leaving a small family. We ate together, watched tv together, and just talked together. I want to stay there again just for the opportunity to meet more amazing families. We all found each other on Facebook, so we can stay in touch. Even so, these families will never be forgotten in our hearts.
So, Wednesday morning we headed to see Dr. Schmitz, the orthopedic surgeon. As you know, it was our first visit, and of course I was nervous. I had already decided that whatever he said, I would accept it and stop worrying. After telling him all I knew about Reece's feet, he examined him and said that Reece's feet actually looked pretty good. He said that he just has a really stiff foot. The goal of surgery is to have a braceable foot, and that is what Reece has. He said that down the road, after Reece stops growing and his bones harden more, the next step would be to perform a fusion where the navicular bone would be removed. We would only do this if it started causing him pain. He also talked to us about Reece's crouched gait (the way he stands with his knees bent). As we've been told before, he does this because of weak quadricep muscles. The only way to help that is to strengthen those. Hopefully the new ankle weights I got for the pool will help that some. We talked with Dr. Schmitz about the risk of scoliosis and restrictive lung disease that goes along with Escobar. We told him that we were concerned about the VEPTR surgery being in Reece's future. He decided to do an xray of his spine. Previous check, Reece's spine was at a 19 degree curve. So, when Dr. Schmitz came in and said "Reece's spine is as crooked as an arrow," it took me a minute to realize that was a good thing. God had straightened Reece's spine! Dr. Schmitz went on to say that VEPTR surgery was a million miles away for Reece, and we should not be concerned with that at all. WHEW! We were certainly relieved to hear that. He told us that if he had been the one to perform Reece's feet surgery then he would xray them at 6 months. So, we made another appointment with him in August when we go back to see all the other drs there. We've pretty much decided to just transfer Reece's orthopedic care there. Not that we're unsatisfied with Shriners (besides the AFO fiasco), but just for the fact we won't have to be going back and forth between Shreveport and Atlanta for medical care. It will just simplify things for us, and we really felt comfortable with Dr. Schmitz.
On to Thursday... This was our free day. We hung around the RMH for a while and then headed out for lunch and a movie. We decided on P.F Chang's for lunch, and we had no idea what would occur there! It all started with the manager treating Reece with a free dessert of his choice. Then, while Nick and Reece went to the bathroom, the manager came over to me and was talking about how happy Reece was. He then asked, if I didn't mind telling him, what Reece had going on. I told him the short version and told him we were here for surgery the next day. Well, when Reece and Nick got back, the waitress brought our check. The manager said, "Reece, I've got something for you, and there is going to be a new check." He left our table and came back with a $25 gift card that he gave to Reece, and a new check. When Nick opened it up, it was for $7.50. We were overwhelmed with emotion. I don't think I have ever cried in public, but I did Thursday at P.F. Chang's. Mike was his name, and I'll never forget that amazing kindness he showed us. He had to get a picture of Reece with the statue in the window and promised to show Reece the horse statues and the ducks in the pond next time we visited him. You know, there are still good people in the world today. They're hard to find, but when you do, you know without a doubt that God placed them in your path. Mike was one of them.
We went to see Kung Fu Panda 2 after lunch, went back to the RMH for a while, and then headed out to have pizza before Reece was banned from food before surgery.
The next morning we had to be at the hospital at 6:00. They took Reece back to the OR about 7:30 after giving him his "goofy juice." He was so funny, as usual. When they gave him the medicine, he pointed to the the pediatric pain scale of different facial expressions and said, "This medicine will make me have a happy face!" Surgery lasted about an hour and a half. Dr. Peljovich came in and spoke with us afterwards. He was able to get as much lengthening in Reece's left thumb as he did in the right thumb back in October, but still enough to improve function. Just like the right, he was able to gain some extension in his wrist as well. He also managed to obtain a couple of muscle biopsies for the research study in Delaware. Reece chose a lime green cast (his first choice was hot pink, but we talked him out of that) and came back from recovery where he slept in my arms for about an hour. When he woke up, he told us in an angry voice, "Dr. P-Peljovich didn't have on a white shirt!" You see, before every surgery we read Curious George Goes to the Hospital, and Thursday night we watched the movie that went along with it at the RMH. In the book, the doctor that operates on George is wearing white scrubs. Dr. P had on blue. Reece was highly ticked that his surgery didn't go just like George's. This child doesn't miss anything. We were released from the hospital about 1:00, something new for us since we're normally admitted and were back at the house. Reece popped into DVD land like he never even had surgery. Ms. Cari was cutting up a HoneyBaked ham, and he ate some of that with leftover homemade mac and cheese. I'm telling you, you eat good at the RMH in Atlanta! We finally convinced him into a nap, and we all konked out until supper time. Friday morning, we said our goodbyes and headed to the airport for our Angel Flight home. We left Atlanta at 11:15 EST and were in our house at 12:30 CST. I was able to go to the grocery store, pick up the dogs, and unpack while Reece napped. Then, I crashed. The trip hit me, and I was exhausted! We ate a quick supper, and then we all hit the bed.
Now, you can see why I say this trip was full of blessings. It's so amazing to me how bright Reece's light shines. He attracts people wherever we go. I always try to make it a point to explain to those people that Reece is a miracle, and I hope that people can see by the way we live our lives that God is responsible for all of the good things we have. I mean, when I sit back and think about how many nice things were done for us on this trip, I see God orchestrating it all up on His throne in Heaven. He doesn't miss any details, no matter how small. And, you know what? All it makes me want to do is pay it forward. I want to do something nice for someone in return for all of the nice things done for us. So, I'm on the lookout this week!
I've added a few pictures from our trip below. I hope you enjoy looking at them!
With love,
Beth
P.S. I've got to add the video of Reece climbing the stairs at the RMH. He's never done it before, and we didn't even know he had done it until he'd climbed one flight already! I'll try to get that on here over the next few days!
Boarding our first Angel Flight

Reece ready for take off!
Our Angel pilots to Atlanta (Scott Wiggins and Michael Cardwell)

Killing time at the Perimeter Center Mall

Tibet- One of the therapy dogs that came to visit
Reece was feeding her a treat.
You can tell he was right at home here :)

Pre-Op

Post-Op (Mama can get good snuggles in during this time.)
The boys of the Atlanta Ronald McDonald House

Sporting his new Angel Flight cap while awaiting our plane home :)

Our Angel pilot who brought us home- Dr. Delbert Hahn
1 comment:
Love it all! Glad you had a great trip...
Post a Comment