Friday, March 25, 2011

On the Mend

Well, my thyroid is finally gone. It's kinda surreal since I have been in constant battle with it since I was 12 years old. Is it weird that I feel like a part of me is gone? I guess, technically it is! Dr. Haick said that the nodule was larger than originally thought so he had to do a lot of stretching to get the gland out of the small incision. That could explain why I've been so sore! There were also several other smaller nodules on the other side. He said my thyroid probably has not worked for a while. On top of that, I told Nick it feels like I fell down a flight of stairs backwards and hit the base of my skull on the edge of every step. Detailed description isn't it? But that's exactly what it feels like. Apparently it's because of the awkward position I was in on the operating table. My calcium is low (common problem after this surgery) so I'm on calcium supplements. It's so odd because my arms and legs tingle when my calcium has dropped, like when a body part "falls asleep.". It's very irritating! I'm at home now and being well taken care of. Nick is being an excellent nurse, and I'm amazed at how much he actually knows how to do! *wink wink*. I love you, Nick! :) I keep reminding myself not to whine since I KNOW Reece has to have been in more pain than this! I've always been amazed at his pain threshold, but he has gained new respect from me now. Speaking of our little trooper, Moni and Nanny brought him by to see me today after therapy. Let me just say, HE'S BAAACK! Yes, he's up walking all over the place in those orange casts! Which only means one thing... I gotta get my strength and energy back fast! There's no slowing him down now! Example... while scuffling all over the house today he stopped in the living room, threw up all over the floor, backed up away from it, and kept walking. Don't worry. He's not sick. He just has this weird thing where he can't drink orange juice because it makes him throw up. Just started recently, and I forgot to warn Moni about it. Not sure why that happens. We'll have to ask Dr. Denney about it.
That's all I have for now. Just taking it easy around here and getting as much rest as I can because I know I'm going to need it!
Thanks to all of you who have prayed and sent your love! We truly appreciate it!
With love,
Beth

Sent from my iPhone

No comments: