Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Mama's Having Surgery Tomorrow...Wait, WHO??

It sounds so odd saying "surgery" without Reece's name attached to it. But, I sure am thankful it is me and not him. Poor little guy needs a break! So, yes, I get to head to Baptist Hospital at a bright and early 5:45 a.m tomorrow. The plan is for them to take me back at 7:00, but I've been through surgeries with Reece enough to know that is usually not the exact time. Anyway, they'll be taking this blasted thyroid gland of mine out and sending it off for a pathology report. Please send up a prayer that this nodule is benign so that I can get on with my life with one less worry. I've jumped into fixing up our outdoor area in the back of our house to keep my mind busy. The one thing that I hold onto is the fact that I have sent Reece to be put to sleep how many times now? Ten. Compared to what he's been through, this is a piece of cake. Just yesterday I was told that Reece is such an inspiration- always smiling no matter what. I'm convinced that smile is God's light shining through my little man. You can't look at Reece and believe there is no God.
Speaking of Reece, he is in Carthage for the week being spoiled rotten. I'm not sure that can even be done now since he is as rotten as they come. The walking situation in the new casts is slowly picking up. Either yesterday or today he told me and Nick that he wanted to practice walking. For him to express the desire to do it shows us that his confidence is building up a little more each day. By the time he gets the hang of it, it'll be time to have them taken off!
Yesterday was a busy day for him. He had speech therapy at MMO through the school district, then OT (school district), and then PT (private). We have a prescription for physical therapy 2x's a week, so his therapy schedule will be insane! Now that he is in with the school district, he has a double dose of every therapy, with a triple dose of physical. After we get these casts off, he'll begin PT with the school once a week plus the twice a week he will already be getting through Beyond Therapy. I'm pretty sure I'm going to need an extra day added to the week. AND on top of all of that, we are hoping to get back into hippotherapy after I'm recovered from my surgery. So, maybe two extra days added? Yikes. Reece is going to be so tired of this mess (except for hippo, he misses that). My thoughts are to get as much in while he's young because once he begins kindergarten at Pinelake (a private Christian school), his services through the public school district will stop. We'll definitely still be in with Beyond Therapy, but why not double dose while we can? I've said this to my small group at church, if it weren't for church my best friends would be Reece's therapists because I see them all the time! I think I may see them more than my own family! Good thing I think the world of all of them!
So...that's the jest of what's going on around here. Reece is adjusting to walking, I'm having surgery tomorrow, and our lives are revolved around therapy.
Poor Nick. He gets to play nurse this week. Hmmm... this could be fun! :)
I'll try to sign in with an update sometime soon.
Thank you for your continued prayer and support. None of it goes unappreciated, trust me!
With love,
Beth

4 comments:

jasjawillis said...

Good luck tomorrow Beth. Your sweet angel IS an inspiration to everyone who comes into contact with him. :) We all LOVE Reece!

Angie

Unknown said...

You will do great tomorrow!!! I had my second thyroid surgery at Baptist, and they were wonderful! Email me if you have any questions 'cuz I've been there, girl! :)

Unknown said...

Hey Beth I saw where you said that once he starts private school his public school therapies will stop. I know that if you qualify for speech and go to private school you can still receive those services through the public school. Didn't know if you knew that or not. Good luck on the surgery!

Meaghan said...

Praying for y'all today!