Is that you never whose opinion to trust when there is a conflict between them. Last week, we had a follow up visit with Dr. Carron, Reece's ENT. Dr. Carron has been dealing with Reece's ears, and he was the one that put the tubes in. Originally, he was also monitoring Reece's cleft palate until he referred us to the pediatric craniofacial surgeon at UMC. After meeting with him, we decided to take Reece to Atlanta to work with Dr. Williams. So, Dr. Williams was the one that repaired the cleft last March. Everything seemed to be going well until I noticed sometime several months later that I still could see a little hole in the roof of Reece's mouth. When I mentioned it to Dr. Carron, he said that it appeared the repair had not healed completely and to mention it to Dr. Williams the next time we saw him. So, I did. He looked and said that he saw it, but it was just a split in Reece's uvula (hangy down thing) and was nothing to worry about. So, fast forward to the latest visit with Dr. Carron last week. He looked in Reece's ears and commented that everything looked great. Then he casually asked how his cleft was doing. I told him what Dr. Williams had said, and he just looked down and raised his eyebrows. So, I ask, what is your opinion? He responded that he thought the split goes up further than just the uvula. As much as I love Dr. Williams, I tend to agree with Carron. The times I've noticed the "hole" it does seems a little high up. So, what do we do now? Well, from what we understood, we wait until Reece is around 3 and see if his speech is affected. Dr. Carron seems to think that Reece's voice if very nasal and that could have something to do with the palate. So, we wait. He's already getting speech, so I don't know what more we can do. Unless this all means he will have to have another palate surgery in the future. I must say, it certainly has not hindered the amount of speech Reece has nor his ability to repeat anything anyone says! The child talks nonstop.
Speaking of possible future surgeries (which makes me cringe just typing it), I have been very concerned about Reece's right foot turning out. Now it seems that the more he is up walking on it, the more it is turning outward. I know Dr. Robbins told us that he may have to have more surgeries on his feet because they were so severe. Dr. McCall at Shriners has also told us that the surgery on his feet wasn't a complete success. I've called Beth, Reece's PT, to the issue, and we are watching it closely. Our hope is that when we go back to Shriners in June, they can just fit him for some more KAFOs that will help to turn that right foot back in, avoiding surgery altogether. Let's pray.
All of this has gotten me down a little. I guess in my little mind, I thought once we had a surgery on something, it was "fixed" and we didn't have to worry about that body part any more. This is all bursting my bubble. I'm going to just pray that the Lord will fix these issues, and Reece won't have to endure any more surgeries, especially one on his feet. What a setback that would be. Please join me in praying this for Reece. We've all seen what the power of prayer can do, and the answers God gives us as long as we have faith.
With love,
Beth
1 comment:
Haley & Reece are like two peas in a pod. She has the very hypernasal voice, due to submucous cleft (which sounds like what Reece is dealing with). We have to go thru a sleep study, possibly removing tonsils, & then address the cleft. Also, Haley's right leg was longer so she would let that leg stick out further and walk more on the side of her foot to "accomodate" - that foot started turning out more since that's the way she held it....making it more difficult for shoes, but it seems to be getting better. Hopefully you can just get him a lift on his shoe - simple fix. Hugs to you! I understand your frustration to a T. Call me if you need to!
Post a Comment