Well, when I tell you that Reece's personality is really exploding, I am not exaggerating! He talks 90 to nothing now and will now even talk on the phone to people. While he stayed with Moni and Daddy Da for a couple of days last week, I called to talk to him. I could not even get a word in! He had to tell me every single thing that he did! We got a huge laugh last night when Nick came home from work. We've developed this little routine at night where Nick and I lay in Reece's bed with him before bedtime and just talk, sing, wrestle, whatever before it's time for him to close his little eyes. Well, last night, he had a LOT to tell Nick about his day. Of course, I have to do a lot of translating sometimes, but the expression he puts into his language is unreal. So, yesterday afternoon he was trying to get from his shopping cart to the wall to his play kitchen (which is a whole other issue), but his shopping cart tipped forward. Luckily I was right there to catch him and prevent him from hitting the ground, but it scared him nonetheless. Last night he had to recount this event to Nick. He said, "Walking on toppin tart, and kishen, and toppin tart fall" Then, he proceeds to crinkle up his nose, fake cry, and say, "OOOOHHH toppin cart! OOOOOH toppin tart fall!" Now, secretly I am patting myself on the back for all of this expression because I read to the child from the minute I knew his ears had formed in the womb. I've always been told that I add a lot of expression to my reading, and I thank the wonderful teachers that I had. But to see my child imitating this complete with facial expressions is priceless. Nick and I both were rolling! Reece is making us laugh more and more every day, and I'm so thankful for that little personality of his because it surely can turn a bad day into a good one!
In other news, we were able to move Reece's Shriners appointment to May 18 to see about his foot and getting his braces adjusted. He has yet to walk again for as long of a distance as he did back in March. It is a little frustrating, but it's such a confidence thing with him. As I mentioned above, he will walk along the walls in the house. Now, I know, that those walls do not provide that much support for him, especially when he's only touching them with his fingertips. That's how we know it's all confidence. I'm not sure how to fix this, as we are constantly praising Reece for his accomplishments and encouraging him. I'm thinking it's just going to have to happen on his own time, and God's. I think God gave us that miracle on March 27 just when we needed it. Just when things were getting depressing, God wanted to show us what He is doing. I'll take it, and just have faith that it will happen again.
Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
Reece has also informed us that he has a girlfriend. During our bedtime talk Sunday night, we were talking about school and his friends at school. We jokingly asked him, not expecting an answer, "Who's your girlfriend?" Without missing a beat, he said, "Landrum." We cracked up, but at the same time I teared up. Let me tell you about this special little girl. You know how you feel when someone treats your child with extra kindness? Well, imagine if your child had special needs and the someone is an innocent 2 year old who has not been coaxed in any way to show this kindness. When I pick Reece up from Mother's Morning Out, Landrum never fails to go get Reece's walker and push it to him. NEVER FAILS. She is always hugging him, patting him on the head, etc. It's almost like she's a little mother to him. Now this all may seem small, but when one of the struggles we worry about facing with Reece is rude comments or gestures toward him by other children, to see this little girl act so lovingly brings us hope that maybe we don't need to worry so much.
I apologize for not posting more regularly on here. We stay pretty busy. My Discovery Toys business is picking up, and we are really getting going on the Sonrays ministry at the church. Still out of my comfort zone, but I have no doubt that I'm doing what God wants me to do.
That's all I have for now. We are hoping to take Reece to Kidfest in Ridgeland on Friday if it doesn't rain. Hopefully I'll have some pictures for you!
With love,
Beth
1 comment:
Is landrum by chance a yates? If so, her dad is from Philly. Sweet sweet family. You do have a lot of expressions and movement when talking. It's funny, I "hear" it when I read your blog.
Post a Comment