Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Guess what?!

Reece is finally cast-free!!  My mother and I took him to Dr. Robbins today, and he removed his casts.  The original plan was for him to remove those casts, us go get measured for braces, and come back for casts up to the knee.  Well, after we came back from being measured, Dr. Robbins said, "Hey!  Let's just leave the casts off and if you want to we can remove the pins in the next few days."  Dr. Robbins is so good at throwing curveballs!  Reece was supposed to have the pins removed on July 7, the day of the MRI, but it turns out that Dr. Robbins will be in surgery all day.  So... here we go again!  This Friday we will go to Baptist at 10 a.m.  to have the pins removed, and go home within 2 hours after the surgery.  They will put him to sleep just like they did when he had the casts changed, only a mild sedation.  After the pins are removed, Reece will wear the braces for 23 hours a day.  Good thing we picked out some cute ones!   He'll also be able to take real baths now!!  Dr. Robbins said that he is waterproof now!!  So... what does Reece think about being cast-free?  Well, he's really confused as to where the clunking sound went.  No matter how hard he tries to make that noise, he just can't!  His feet are still really tender where his stitches are and where the casts chafed him a bit, but I know he will soon bounce back!  Nothing a little Tylenol won't help:)  All in all, his feet look 100 times better than they did when he was born, so he is making progress.  I don't think he will let anything stop him!  Please say a little prayer for him around noon Friday!  Pray that he will do just as well as he has in the past.   This is really bittersweet in that we wish it could have been done at the same time as the MRI to minimize the number of times he has to go under anesthesia, but we are also glad to be getting the pins out!!  Thanks everyone for staying so involved with Reece!  Your thoughts and prayers mean the world to us!

1 comment:

Abby Jenkins said...

I am so excited for yall. I am so glad that it seems everything is so encouraging everytime you go to the doctor. I just know Reece will overcome this and not ever really be limited. God blessed you with him for a reason....already I know to be a testimony to my life...but who knows what larger things it will be in the future.