Friday, May 16, 2008

Reece is Home

Well, we just got home from the hospital with Reece.  The surgeries went well, and more importantly no complications with anesthesia.   His feet were a little more complex than originally thought.  It turns out that there was some tissue in between the two bones that should have formed horizontally.  He has huge plaster casts on his feet, and we are keeping them elevated for the next 24 hours.  He also had a muscle biopsy done for the neurologist to determine if his muscles formed normally.  On top of that, they drew blood from his head to send to genetics so that we can finally get confirmation on whether or not he has this Escobar syndrome.  The ENT put tubes in his ears (which both had fluid behind them), checked his airways (which are normal), and checked his hearing.  His hearing test came back perfect, which was a big relief since there was some concern about that.  We found out the cause of his noisy breathing is with him having a small jaw his tongue is a little further back.  This is due to the cleft palate.  They told us that was not a concern. The little guy had a tough day, but has only had 3 doses of pain medicine.  He is truly a little trooper.  Today, he is running a moderate fever, but we are told that is to be expected from his surgery on his feet.  It is finally beginning to break.  He is still super groggy and confused.  We actually did pretty well handing him over to the anesthesiologist.  Reece made it much easier since he was smiling as the nurse carried him away.  I broke down when we got in the waiting room.  I held up ok until he came out of recovery and was so pitiful.  It was very painful to see him like that, and I became overwhelmed with our whole situation.  Luckily, we had many friends and family there to pick me up.  We slept pretty well last night, especially after they gave Reece a dose of morphine.  Nick is exhausted after worrying about me and Reece, but he is definitely the greatest husband and father.  We still have a very long road ahead of us.  This is just the beginning.  I'm trying to remind myself to take it one day at a time, but sometimes the situation overwhelms me.  Hopefully, we will get some uplifting news at Shriners about his knees and hips.  That will be our next step as well as his hands.  All I can say is thank you, thank you, thank you for the many prayers, phone calls, and text messages.  The Lord definitely answered our prayers.  This is the hardest thing Nick and I will ever go through, but all of our friends and family make it so much easier.  Reece had half of the waiting room filled with people.  What an absolute blessing!  He is definitely a lucky little boy! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is great news Beth! I'm so glad that everything turned out so well.

Abby Jenkins said...

I called Suzanne and checked on yall today!! I am glad to hear you are home, I didn't realize he would be released so quick. I feel like I say things over and over, but I am truly amazed at your strength. I know you must feel so weak at times but you are a great mom as well as Nick being a great dad. Reece is blessed to have parents like you two. Just as God has blessed your lives with Reece. We love little Reece, even though I have never met him. He holds a special place in my thoughts and prayers.