Smiling in recovery because it's over!
This was our attempt at a "before" picture of his knees. The shorts cover up most of them though.
After 6 hours in recovery because the hospital was understaffed, we made it to a room. We stayed one night in the hospital, and then he was discharged the next afternoon. We decided to stay one more night at the FedEx House. We were a little disappointed in how we were discharged because we had zero guidance on anything (getting him in the car, transferring him from place to place, etc), and then his surgeon did not even know he had been discharged. I think we can thank Covid because the staffing just wasn't there.
Getting out of bed for the first time
Right leg incision
Left leg incision
The first night at the FedEx House was a nightmare. Reece's bladder woke up, and we lifted him 18 times to take him to the bathroom between midnight and 6 a.m. This was 100% my fault because I declined a bedside toilet, thinking they were asking for home.
We were more than ready to get home that next day. Our original plan was for Reece to ride in the front seat, but we couldn't figure out a good way to get him in there while also holding his legs. So, we put him sideways in the backseat with his legs propped up on Nick.. Three hours of riding like this was not comfortable at all for him, but we made it.
When we arrived home, our amazing neighbor who owns a medical supply company, had a wheelchair ramp and a Hoyer lift set up for us. After another stressful trip to the bathroom, we all collapsed and even cried from exhaustion and frustration. The next few nights were tough keeping Reece comfortable, but we finally hit our groove. He was super happy to be in his own bed!
We got home on Wednesday, and he started rehab on Friday. The first few rehab visits were a lot of quad stimulation and massage using a HivaMat to get the swelling down.
Getting some sunshine after rehab
He has had a ton of visitors, and my goodness have we been blessed with food and gift cards! I can't even describe how loved we have felt.
Over the last couple of weeks, we have progressed from using the Hoyer lift for total transfers in the house to pivot transfers with him doing some of the work as we support him. Getting him in/out of the car was our biggest challenge before he started bearing some weight. We knew riding crossways in the backseat was a no go after riding home from Memphis like that, so we had been managing to get him into the front seat. Now, we have it all down to a science. Ha! He has also gone from having to have his legs elevated all of the time to letting them hang.
The first weight bearing attempt at rehab didn't go so well, mainly because the harness was a little large for him. So, on the next visit he moved to a tilt table. He was bearing about 70% of his weight the first day!
Just this past week, he moved into a different harness. It was a challenge, but he did well. What has to happen is his quad muscles are going to have to learn how to function with the new range of motion in his legs. It sounds easy, but it isn't.
Thankfully, we have begun to be able to squeeze in some fun among all of the rehab visits. Mississippi State played in the College World Series, so he was able to watch them as he recovers. Reece also received a special FaceTime call from one of the players, and it meant so much to him. Then, the icing on top was that they actually won the National Championship! We decided we could try to make it to the big historic celebration in Starkville this past Friday. The best grandparents in the world arrived at 11:15 and sat at the gates of Dudy Noble until they were open at 2:30 just to ensure Reece would have a wheelchair accessible seat. He had the best seat there!
Precious neighbors brought Reece a shirt to wear while watching the Dawgs play.
Our first non-rehab outing to Bulldog Burger the day after the Dawgs won the
National Championship
Pics from a long day of celebrating at Dudy Noble
To say this recovery has been tough is an understatement, and we are nowhere near being back to somewhat normal. As with every surgery Reece has had, doubt and fear begin to creep in, and I start questioning whether we made the right decision. What if we have totally messed up? Despite having so much confirmation from the Lord on our decision, Satan likes to distract me from that. I know it, and I still fall for it. It's my weakness. The night before last I woke up around 3:00 in the morning, and fear gripped me. The obsessive, anxious thoughts started, and I'm not really sure what time they finally stopped. I know it was sometime after I thought " Why aren't you praying about this instead?" I was trying to figure out how school was going to work if we don't make much more progress. What if he can't learn to walk again? We waited over 2 years to actually get him to walking in the first place, and it was such a big deal because the doctors weren't sure he ever would. Now, it feels like we are right back to square one. What are stairs going to look like? Bending down to pick things up? Getting in the car independently? It's so hard to see the independence he had not there any more. All of these things I had thought of prior to surgery, but we knew we had to help him because the pain in his knees was really already taking a lot of his independence away. All of that to say that yesterday was an emotionally rough day for Mama. Reece had no idea, but I had asked some friends to pray for me. Then, last night God decided to reveal Himself. We were all in the living room watching tv, and all of a sudden Reece sits up and says "I want to try something." Having no idea what the kid was about to do, I had to make him do it again. He had never ever even mentioned wanting to do this. Nick and I could not help but laugh out loud. Reece originally thought we were laughing at him, but it was a laughter full of joy because we knew what the Lord had just done. Just like He has done over and over and over in our son's life. I told someone yesterday that when I start to worry, I just need to remind myself of this. God has used Reece to display His power so many times over the last 13.5 years. This was His way of reminding me to expect the unexpected. He's able to do exceedingly abundantly more than I can ever think or ask.






















1 comment:
Awesome Recovery!!!! Wouldn't expect anything less from the Reeceman!
Post a Comment