Reece received two paper awards yesterday. One was for Honor Roll, which we are so proud of, but the other was for Joyfulness. This was not Reece's first year to receive the Joyfulness award. In fact, it was his third. It was his third year to have the words "Having a gladness of heart regardless of circumstances. Psalm 68:3" printed below his name. Maybe it was because of this he didn't feel the need to tell us those cruel words spoken to him. The Lord has truly filled his heart with Joyfulness.
Friday, May 17, 2019
Farewell to Fifth... and Elementary
Yesterday marked a milestone in Reece's life. Not only was it the end of the school year, but it was also the end of his time in elementary. It was a tough year, but we made it! I woke up yesterday with a little bit of a heavy heart. I didn't sleep well the night before because we learned something that another boy had said to Reece months ago. "You're ugly. The only reason you have any friends is because they are made to be your friends." I never knew these words had been said to him. He had kept it to himself for months. I was crushed because my heart stung for him, and I was crushed I never knew. But, God works in ALL things, and yesterday He showed Himself twice. The principal that has been with Reece since K4 is retiring. Reece and I had written her notes, and I had a painting made for her in appreciation of how supportive she has been of Reece. I wasn't there when he gave it to her, but someone later told me that it was a sweet moment where she told him she remembered his K4 teacher so upset because she didn't know if Reece was going to be able to do the playground. She told that teacher that yes he was going to be able to do it. She knew he could. Yesterday, she reaffirmed that in him. She told him that he was going to be able to do anything he set his mind to, and that she was confident God had huge plans for his life. Thank you, Mrs. Martin, for speaking those words to him and for all of the words of encouragement you have spoken to him over the years. Yesterday was God- orchestrated.
Reece received two paper awards yesterday. One was for Honor Roll, which we are so proud of, but the other was for Joyfulness. This was not Reece's first year to receive the Joyfulness award. In fact, it was his third. It was his third year to have the words "Having a gladness of heart regardless of circumstances. Psalm 68:3" printed below his name. Maybe it was because of this he didn't feel the need to tell us those cruel words spoken to him. The Lord has truly filled his heart with Joyfulness.
Did you notice I called these paper awards? Those were only one kind of award he received. After the awards ceremony was over, Reece, Nick's mom, and I were some of the last to leave the theater. As we were standing there, an older lady came to me and asked "Are you Reece's mother?" I told her I was, and she proceeded to tell me what an absolute blessing he had been to her grandson this year. She explained that her grandson was moving to another school next year. He has a struggle of his own, and he has a lot more friends at this new school closer to their home. She spoke directly to Reece thanking him for taking her grandson under his wing and being such a good friend. She then gestured to his mom standing over to the side who was crying so hard she could hardly speak. She finally managed to hug Reece and thank him for being such a good friend and a positive influence on her son. I could tell Reece didn't really know what to say. He had no idea the impact he had on this friend. A friend that wasn't "made" to be his friend. A friend that God placed in his path on purpose for a reason. I knew Reece and this little boy had become pretty tight. Reece talked about him all of the time. Nick had picked up on their close friendship at different school functions, but little did we know how sweet their friendship was. My prayer for Reece's life has been to glorify the Lord from day one of our journey. We don't always know for sure where or when this happens, but yesterday it was 100 percent evident to me. After they said their goodbyes, I hugged Reece and told him THAT was his real award right there. It was better than any paper award he could ever receive, and I am so proud of him living his life to positively influence others. (Although, I know he held his fair share of 5th grade mischief. ;) This moment was another God wink my child needed. So, thank you to that mama and grandmother who felt Him stir those words in their hearts and made the choice to speak them aloud. It's a moment I'll never forget. It's a moment Reece will never forget.
Reece received two paper awards yesterday. One was for Honor Roll, which we are so proud of, but the other was for Joyfulness. This was not Reece's first year to receive the Joyfulness award. In fact, it was his third. It was his third year to have the words "Having a gladness of heart regardless of circumstances. Psalm 68:3" printed below his name. Maybe it was because of this he didn't feel the need to tell us those cruel words spoken to him. The Lord has truly filled his heart with Joyfulness.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment