Before his first game...
Up to bat...
Playing catcher!
He got to hang out with some MSU baseball players at Super Bulldog Weekend. The coach got his name and Nick's parents' address and mailed him a ball signed by the entire team a few weeks later.
After Reece made it to home plate for the first time (a very big deal for him and us), his team signed the game ball and gave it to him. Yes, we cried. I took a video every time he was up to bat after that because I missed it. I'll have to weed through them and post the good ones at a later date.
He looks so grown up.
Being silly with his team while it rains during a game...
The sweetest teammates
They loved their tournament shirts the coaches had made for them.
This was after they won in the semifinals and were moving on to the championship game. Reece's face makes my heart swell every time I look at these pictures.
Reeceman missed playing in the championship game because we were in Disneyland (another post in itself), but he cheered the Kings on from afar. They ended up getting second place, but they still got a ring. (Which we think is hysterical being newbies to this whole thing. What happened to trophies?) He is super proud of it though, and we are super proud of him. After one of the games, I heard a lady ask someone behind me "Are you Reece's parents?" They pointed her in our direction, and she came up to us and said "I want you to know that I have coached softball and baseball for 30 something years, and Reece is amazing. He goes out there like 'so what? I'm going to kick some butt' and he does. Y'all have a done an amazing job with him, and he is a joy to watch." It's words like these that puts things in perspective for me and Nick. We let go of our fears and anxieties to let Reece do something he loves, and he ended up inspiring at least one person. I am so very thankful that God is continuing to answer my prayer for his little life.
I would be wrong not to mention the unbearable heartache we went through at the end of April. Our sweet kitty Nassau went downhill pretty quickly with kidney failure, and we had to say goodbye to him. He had stopped eating and drinking and was having accidents all over. He collapsed twice in span of two days, and we just knew he was suffering. Fifteen years he did life with us. Nick and I were married for one month before we drove to Clarksdale to pick up our Nassau. We had gone to the Bahamas for our honeymoon, so it just seemed like the perfect name. Nassau was with us through college, multiple moves, our miscarriage, and everything with Reece. How in the world could we let him go? It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. We were fortunate to find a vet service to come into our home, so that we could say goodbye to him there rather than he being scared in the vet clinic. I'm pretty sure my heart broke in two when I felt his little heart stop. We had him cremated, and he is watching over his beloved laundry room. We've gradually removed his things. His food went first, but the litter box with his little footprints in it just left the house this past weekend. We still find his hair everywhere. Nick even pulled one off of his shirt while we were in Disney, so we know he's still with us. In fact, we both still catch glimpses of him out of the corner of our eyes. There will never be another cat like him, and we are so very blessed we got to love on him and he on us for so many years.
Next post (hopefully it will be soon) will be all about Disneyland and San Diego! We've been some traveling people the last few weeks! Whew!
With love,
Beth

1 comment:
Yes, Determination is spelled R-E-E-C-E! Love, Aunt Debbie Cobb Garcia
Post a Comment