Friday, January 9, 2015

Christmas 2014

I'm a little behind posting Christmas pictures, and I realized I don't really have a whole lot of them.  :(  The Sunday we got back from Disney, I suspected Reece had the flu, so I took him in to the after hours clinic.  Turns out that my Mama gut didn't fail me.  So, we spent the the days leading up to Christmas doing nebulizer treatments, the Vest, Tamiflu, and alternating Motrin and Tylenol.  I thought it was never going to leave our little guy alone!  Thankfully, he felt well enough to enjoy Christmas.  



 One day we just got into the kitchen and baked, and baked, and baked.  This was when the flour exploded out of the mixer.  Brought a big smile to a little guy's sick face..

 We made our annual gingerbread men!  We definitely enjoyed our new kitchen with all of the holiday baking!


 Santa came and brought lots of jerseys, footballs, his "very own football field", and some Ninja Turtle gear!

 Ho, Ho, Who Dat!  Dat's our son who is growing up way too fast.

 Of course we watched the Bulldogs play in the Orange Bowl.  Reece's sweet cousin and wife sent Reece a tshirt to wear the day of the bowl.  Too bad we didn't get a win.  :(

 The front porch of our house turned out to be a good spot for New Year's Eve firework watching.  And, the moonlit sky was just as cool!


Now on to a new year.  2015 means that Reece will be 7 years old.  In some ways it feels every bit that long, and in others it feels like we were just those scared parents expecting a baby with special needs.  Expecting and not really knowing what to expect.  God has been faithful to our family, and He's given us exceedingly abundantly more than we ever could have expected!  Reece is thriving, and we could not ask for a better child.  He continues to amaze me with his actions and thinking.  Just last night at TLLH's parents meeting, our director dropped something, and Reece rushed over "I'll get it for you."  Even though it's hard for  him to bend over and pick something up off of the floor, he didn't hesitate to help.  I really was speechless, and it probably didn't occur to anyone else but me, but I was so very proud of him.  On the way home last night, he told me this year he's going to do Challenger League again, but next year he wants to do the regular league where "no one has anything", meaning no syndromes, disorders, etc.  We aren't entirely sure how we are going to approach that sort of thing when the time comes.  It's hard.  On another note, he also informed me that when he grows up he's going to drive a Mercedes Benz.  I had to stifle a laugh because I had no idea he knew what the heck a Mercedes Benz is.  Turns out he wants one because, duh Mama, the Mercedes Benz Superdome is where the Saints play!
Bragging moment now... Reece brought home all A's again for the 2nd quarter of school.  He also brought home some pretty impressive reading and math levels.

 The first score is his reading level.  Right now in first grade, he is at a 2nd grade 7th month level.  That's obviously above average.
  This last picture is his math level.  You can see his grade equivalency is 2nd grade 4th month.  Nick said he's not even sure we are prepared for this kid's intelligence.  I just pat myself on the back and say listening to all of those Baby Einstein cds in my car during pregnancy and reading to my belly paid off.  You can imagine the eye rolls I get.  :)
Ok, ok.  I'll stop my bragging now.  We are just so stinking proud of him, and we really want him to know it!
His birthday celebrations begin this weekend with a family party at our house.  Next weekend, we head to Memphis to take him to see the Grizzlies play.  And, the next weekend is his bowling party. Do we overdo it? Yes.  Do we care?  No.  He's our only child who wasn't supposed to live, so you better believe we are going to celebrate his life BIG!
With love,
Beth


1 comment:

The Long Family said...

7! Weren't we just at his 1st birthday party? You should be proud of all of his accomplishments.