Monday, June 3, 2013

Seagrove Beach 2013

Last Tuesday, we headed out on our impromptu trip to Seagrove Beach, FL.   We had not been planning to take a beach vacation, but I got the urge a couple of weeks ago with no argument from Nick or Reece.  :)  We had a wonderful trip with beautiful weather and lots of relaxation!  On the way there, I had a call from my friend who teaches at Reece's school.  Remember the email Reece's teacher sent me?  I understood it as she just sent an email to the headmaster sharing Reece's story.  No, she got up in front of the entire staff (which is totally out of her character) and told about how blessed she had been by Reece this year.  My friend said all of the teachers were squalling.  After it was over, my friend (who also happens to have a child with Down's Syndrome) went over to Reece's teacher, introduced herself as my friend, and told her how much she appreciated her working so well with Reece this year.  Reece's teacher then started crying.  I tell this story at this point in my post because it was such a positive way to begin our vacation.  It always amazes me how God continues to bless people with Reece's life.  It was more evident when we were going through multiple surgeries, but now that we have settled into a somewhat more "normal" life, it's often easy to forget the impact he has on people.  It's so nice to be reminded that God is using his life for His glory just like I prayed He would prior to Reece's birth.
Now on to the pictures of our week of R&R!

 You can tell the sand doesn't bother Reece!

 Taking a break for a quick pic with Mom!

 Digging for buried treasure!


 I'm sure this was a deep conversation!

 Reece has never let us let go of him in the swimming pool.  This was a first!!


 He loved going out in the waves with me and getting hit with the big ones!  My arms got a workout!


 Ok, there's a story behind the bike trailer.  I will take a minute to make fun of myself.  We always rent bicycles to get around the area.  Well, we bought a bike trailer for home a while back, and I thought we could save some money by bringing our own trailer.  We didn't have a way to carry our bikes, but at least we could pack the trailer.  I was doing so good packing it in the back of the car the night before.  On the way there, I had a semi-panic attack thinking Nick had forgotten a wrench and the hardware needed to attach the trailer to our bikes.  Well, when we got there and unpacked, we decided to take our bikes to get groceries.  Nick hooked up the hardware and went to the car to get the trailer.  When he started back toward the bikes without the trailer, I knew something was wrong.  Yeah, turns out Mom had forgotten to pack the wheels!  So much for saving a few bucks.  And, yes, I have not heard the end of it.  All week I heard from both boys "Hey Mom, look that trailer has wheels!"



 I just loved the way our condo was decorated!  This picture in our bathroom made me laugh hysterically.  I'm easily amused.

 This is one of my favorite pictures.

This was after the first day at the beach.  Think he played hard?


 Opening the $3 candy ice cream cone he HAD to have.  He took one lick and decided he didn't like it. 
Remember being a kid?

 Football with Daddy on the green in Seaside


 Our condo was in Seagrove, but we spend most of our time in Seaside, our first love.  We couldn't get a cottage there since it was a last minute trip, but we adore the little family oriented beach town.  So much so, we've booked a September trip with the grandparents!  They just have to see how much fun Reece has here!
This is one of the airstream trailers that line the streets.  The grilled cheese trailer is probably our fave.  And, yes, it has wheels...

 The quaint little market that serves yummy baked goods and has all sorts of interesting groceries

 Reece having the time of his life

 Love the cottages here!  Lots of inspiration for our new house... if we can ever sell the one we are in!

 A sweet woman took this family pic.  Reece's head is drenched in sweat from playing football.  We did have professional beach portraits made at 6 a.m one morning.  I can't wait to see them!  She got some cute ones of Reece!

 By Friday, Daddy was beached out.  Reece and I headed down for Mom/son beach time.  It was our last day, so I figured why not?  After exploring the waves for a bit, we parked ourselves at the edge of the water.  Yes, we were covered in sand, but I wouldn't take anything for the time I got to spend with him just hanging out digging in the sand.

 Waving to Dad on the balcony

 It would not be a trip if Reece didn't get something free.  Friday night we went to Seaside for a grilled cheese picnic and an outdoor movie (that had to be cancelled due to wind).  A man had a sno cone cart set up and brought Reece one for free.  After Reece had finished it, we told him to go tell the man thank you.  The nice guy said "No, thank you.  You're an inspiration, and you've blessed me.  You're a special little guy."  Once again, I was blown away how this man was touched by Reece just by watching him.  

 Part of vacation is getting to eat what you want, right?  Reece had his fill of Oreos and Cheetos.  


 Love doing life with this man!

 Eating at The Crab Trap in Destin after outlet mall shopping-  Reece took out 1/4 lb of fried crab claws!

The famous Meltdown on 30a!

We're home now and still feeling pretty relaxed.  Our house didn't show one time until we got back.  It showed yesterday afternoon.  I'm trusting God's timing for it to sell, but boy does it stress me out!
Today Reece is starting his Bible school basketball camp at First Baptist Jackson.  He is so excited.  He was up at 6:45 this morning.  It doesn't start until 1 this afternoon.  I am so nervous.  I want this to be a positive, fun experience for him and not a frustrating, disappointing one.  I'm still battling with whether or not I'm going to stay on campus for the first day or not.  Pray it's an awesome day for him!

Next trip?  Atlanta for doctors' appointments... bleh!

With love, 
Beth

2 comments:

The Long Family said...

Now I want to go to the beach even more!!! Maybe we can sneak away in the fall too. Looks like a great trip!

Meaghan said...

Love all the pics! Glad y'all had such a great time, and yes, I'm jealous too! ha!