Friday, August 10, 2012

Always the Mystery

Well, Reece wouldn't be Reece if he didn't give his Mama a new mystery to figure out and worry about.  For the past couple of months, we have noticed him gagging quite frequently, but we chalked it up to sinus drainage.  When we went to the pulmonologist a few weeks ago, they tried to perform a lung function test like they did last time.  It requires him to wrap his lips around a tube and just breathe normally.  After 5 tries with him gagging each try, they were unable to get accurate results.  Strangely enough, the next week his speech therapist asked me if we had noticed him gagging more.  I told her that we had and told her about the lung test.  She said that he had been extremely sensitive with her as well.  She took him back and looked with a flashlight into the back of his throat.  It seems like his uvula (the little hangy down thing) is touching the back of his tongue, and she thinks that could be what is making him have a sensitive gag reflex.  That night, as I was drying him off from bath, he gagged when I dried around his neck.  I asked him if my touching his neck made him gag, and he told me yes not to touch it.  I started becoming more aware of when he was choking, and each time it was when his neck area was touched.  So tonight, I decided to lay him over his Boppy pillow (yes, we still have his), and stretch those neck muscles.  Bingo.  When I started stretching the sternocleidomastoid muscle (the red muscle below), he started gagging like crazy and lifting his head up.  I have no idea what this means, but I'm about to do some research.


School begins next week for both of us.  This past week, Reece spent several nights in Carthage while I worked every day meeting with parents and getting my classroom ready.  We have noticed that his DVD obsession is back, confirming our theory that he does this when he is nervous about something.  We've asked him several times what's worrying him, but we know it is just all of the changes going on in our family life.  He has told us that he's worried about having to take a nap in kindergarten.  I've told him multiple times that he has a whole year before he has to worry about that.  Geez, this kid is going to have my anxiety issues.  I'm trying to give him more attention when we are together and making sure he knows how much I love him.  It's hard, but I think he will adjust.  It's just going to take a little time.

That's all I have for now.  I'm about to go invade Google with searches about this gagging problem.
Have a great weekend!
With love,
Beth

No comments: