Yesterday, Reece had his first massage therapy session. The picture above is him just chilling and anticipating the beginning of it. I must admit, I felt pretty crazy taking my 4 year old son into a room filled with candles and relaxing music, but hey, if it works! The massage therapist started out by massaging Reece's scalp, and he went into a trance! You could tell it really felt good to him, and he even said it did. She worked his shoulders, wrists, knees, and neck for about 45 minutes and used several techniques- partial cranial release, myofascial, and reiki. By the end of the 45 minutes, Reece was groggy and became grumpy. Although he was hard to deal with, I think that was a good sign. All in all, it was a success. We scheduled another one in a month. I also spoke with the trainer at High Hopes Farm in Madison. If you've been following Reece's story for a while, you know he did hippo therapy for about a year and loved it. It came to a point where the physical therapist began to cut back on her sessions, and we felt as if the external rotation in his right leg was being aggravated by the position on the horse. After finding High Hopes on the internet, I decided to contact the trainer and give the horse riding another shot. She called me yesterday and was very knowledgeable about adaptive horse riding. Although it won't be hippotherapy (which includes a physical therapist), it will be therapeutic riding with a trainer who has PTs and OTs as volunteers. These PTs and OTs are actually in training to become hippotherapy certified by the fall. In addition to the riding, Reece will be able to groom and feed the horses prior to his session. When I asked him if he wanted to ride horses, he said, "I LOOVE horses!" So, I think he's looking forward to it. We go for his initial consult on Saturday.
Nick and I are beginning to really plan for our anniversary trip to Costa Rica... applying for passports, booking flights, and brushing up on basic Spanish! We are getting so excited! July can't get here soon enough!
I just registered for two more online workshops to renew my teaching license (last two!) as well as the Praxis Special Education exam. I'll take that in June. I'm not able to reveal a whole lot yet, but let's just say that I will be going back to work sometime early to late summer.
Reece is in Carthage for the remainder of the week. I have today and Thursday all to myself. He's spending tonight with my parents and the next two nights with Nick's parents. I'll definitely have to do damage control when he returns! Until then, I think I'll shop! And, maybe catch up on some scrapbooking!
With love,
Beth
No comments:
Post a Comment