Friday, May 6, 2011

Sleep Study Results In

Dr. Kirchner's nurse called a couple of days ago with the results of Reece's sleep study. It turns out he does have mild sleep apnea. During the study, his average O2 saturation was 97.5% with the lowest being 87.9%. He woke up 35 times, with 6 of those times being because of breathing issues. Dr. Kirchner feels that all of this can be cured by removing his enlarged adenoids. So... in order to decrease the number of times he has to go under anesthesia, they are going to do it at the same time of his left wrist/thumb surgery on June 3. An ENT will perform the adenoidectomy. Our ENT is here in Mississippi. What does that mean? We get to add ANOTHER ENT to the mix in Atlanta. But, before we go in for the surgery we have to go in to consult with the new ENT. That means another trip to Atlanta... next week! Yes, we just got back from there last week! So, this Thursday we'll be meeting with Dr. Sipp at Pediatric ENT of Atlanta. I'm just praying that we like this guy. You know how picky I am with Reece's doctors :)
In orthopedic news, Reece was molded for new AFOs here at home by the sweetest orthotist you will ever meet. He is determined to help Reece's feet get into a better position. I'm having such doubts about the surgery Dr. McCall did at Shriners. I'm just so afraid we should have gone with our first instinct and flown to Seattle to meet with the surgeon that did the Rudder kids' feet. Reece's sweet PT tried to make me feel better by saying that "you just do what you think is right at the time." I just don't think that I ever truly felt that this surgery at Shriners was right at the time. Ugh... I swallow hard when I think about it. Now, all we can do is work hard to keep those feet from regressing. We rejoined the YMCA, and I'm getting him back in the pool to stretch and strengthen. I did find a physical therapist to do aquatic therapy with him, but getting insurance to pay for land physical therapy and aquatic is going to be a huge ordeal. I just may research on my own and get tips from Beth, his PT. He doesn't do nearly as much for me as he would someone else, but we've got to try. Plus, he'll be starting more PT with the school district in August, so maybe that will be enough. I'm just in this I've-got-to-do-everything-I-can-for-him mode. I'm so scared of failing adult Reece. There are new worries every day. They never stop. Plus, we are finding that the breathing problems only increase with age. God, just place your hands on his lungs, spine, and ribs. Spare him from this suffering that can be associated with Escobar. You've blessed him so much already. Please continue to watch over him.
He also has some social fears and behaviors we are concerned about now. (By we, I mean me. Shocking, I know.) I just would like for us to be able to enjoy a normal life and not worry about every part of Reece's little life. I know part of that is just being a parent, and if you are a parent and understand that- try multiplying that worry times 50 when you have a child with special needs.
This Mother's Day weekend I'm going to focus on being Reece's mama, not his doctor, therapist, psychologist, teacher, etc- just his Mama. When I spoke on the phone with the PT that will be working with Reece through the school, I got off of the phone and cried. Nick asked me what was wrong, and I told him that she said something to me that no one had ever said. When I told her that Reece would not do anything "therapy-wise" with me, she replied, "You don't worry about that. You focus on loving that baby and leave the work up to us therapists." You see, I feel as if there are so many eyes and expectations on me watching to see how Reece progresses. I've got to realize that my only responsibilities are to keep him safe, love him, and guide him in the way of the Lord.
I hope all of you mothers have a wonderful Mother's Day weekend, especially you new ones (Carly and Ashley!) Squeeze and kiss those sweet babies because before you know it, they'll be starting preschool!
With love,
Beth

No comments: