Thursday, February 3, 2011

This One is Over!

I'm happy to report that we have made it back to our little nest and are gradually settling back in. Reece's surgery turned out to be a little more complex than what we thought we were going in for. The plan was for them to lengthen the anterior tibial tendons in his feet and place him in walking casts for 6 weeks. Well, once the doctors were in there, they decided that some bone reconstruction needed to be done. So, they did lengthen the anterior tibs, but they also lengthened the Achilles tendon and placed pins in his talus and navicular bones to bring them together and have them fuse. These pins will stay in for 6 weeks, and he is not allowed to walk or stand in them. Basically, they repeated the surgery he had at 4 months of age and did a little more. Needless to say, I became quickly overwhelmed when the surgeon came out and told us all of this. Tears were shed before I toughened up and decided to face this recovery head-on! After 6 weeks, we go back to Shriners to have the pins removed, be fitted for AFOs, and then recasted in walking casts while the AFOs are being made. Until then, Reece is enjoying a new wheelchair that we are renting to help save my back carrying him from place to place. I don't know why I ever doubted him, but he is handling this like a trooper! On the way home yesterday he told us that he liked his new casts. Then, last night, he said, "I wike my wheelchair, Mama. It's just wike Missus Webecca's" Nick and I were in awe since we have never even mentioned "Missus Webecca's" chair. Obviously, he thought it was pretty cool when we met her in Orlando, and it left an impression on him. I think he must look up to Missus Webecca, and I'm ok with that! I hope he has the awesome spirit and attitude that she carries!
BIG thanks to Suzanne Rudder...she provided me with some ideas that worked to keep Mr. Mason and Miss Haley occupied during their cast time. So, we're entertaining him with dvds, play doh, Mobigo games, and puzzles while he's off of his feet. He seems occupied... for now :) Let's hope it lasts! The doctor did give the ok for him to return to Mother's Morning Out next week, so I'm hoping he'll enjoy that!
Our friends and family are being absolutely incredible! We have meals taken care of for like 2 weeks! That's such a weight off of my shoulders. The texts and emails have been so encouraging, and I promise it's what has kept me uplifted. I've felt so guilty about what I wrote a couple of posts ago. I still feel like it sounded ungrateful, and it breaks my heart to think that it might be taken that way. I did have another Escobar mommy comment to let me know that she understood what I meant, so maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought. Obviously, I was very apprehensive about this surgery and had kinda dragged myself into a pit worrying about it. I know now that it was mommy-instinct warning me that this might be a little more difficult than I thought. So, I apologize if anyone read it and thought terribly of me. If you haven't noticed by now, this blog is like a diary for me. It's sort of a therapy as Nick has told me. Just a place to get feelings out. Never thought I'd be sharing my diary with the world wide web! So much for a lock! Ha!
Because this surgery was more involved, we'll be moving the surgery on his left thumb and wrist back a couple of months. We're still headed to Atlanta in a couple of weeks for some doctors' appointments, but the surgery won't be in March. Little Reece needs a little more time between operations!
I'll try to remember to post a pic of Reece in recovery mode soon! Until then, thank you for your love and prayers! We certainly feel them!
With love,
Beth

1 comment:

Meaghan said...

I'm glad the surgery went well, even though it was more involved than you thought! Little Reece is SUCH a trooper! Y'all are amazing too! By the way, love the new blog look....that pic of him in his sock monkey longall is so cute!!