This week was a fairly busy one for the Barhams. Reece helped celebrate his Granny's birthday last Wednesday with dinner at Kathryn's Steakhouse. Uncle Byrd and Aunt Suzanne came as well, and of course Reece entertained everyone. It's getting kinda scary how smart he has become. He's like a 5 year old in a 1 year old body with a birthday of a 2 1/2 year old! One of his teachers informed us last week that while they were working on a number puzzle together, she couldn't get the 6 to fit correctly. Reece grabbed it from her, flipped it around, and said "Ms. Bwitney, it's numba 9!" On top of his growing intelligence is his growing imagination. He pretends about everything! The other morning when I went to get him out of the bed, he started fake whining and rubbing his eye. I asked him what was wrong, and he said, "My eye. My eye huts (hurts)." I said, "What's wrong with your eye?" He replied, "There's a wadybug (ladybug) in my eye." Not sure if he was dreaming or what, but I wasn't quite sure how to reply to that one. Some other imaginative things- making a Reece and Ridley movie, feeding Slinky Dog Ridley's water, shopping for DVDS with his shopping cart (complete with pulling them off of the pretend shelf), swiping "credit cards", staying in the "room hotel" aka Mama and Daddy's bedroom, and about a jillion other little pretends that I can't think of right now. I'm trying so hard to remember everything he says and does, but he's coming up with it so fast that I forget before I can write it down!
As far as Reece's physical treatment side, he's doing well. We have ditched the new AFOs we received at Shriners because everyone agreed that they were doing more harm than good. We also received the new soft splints for his wrists. That is an absolute battle. He did keep them on for most of the morning at MMO last Wednesday, but he refuses to wear them for me. I can get them on him for about 5 minutes before I look over and he has taken them off.
The one thing that is concerning us right now is how Reece falls. Because he can't straighten his arms out completely, he doesn't catch himself correctly. This results in a major bump on the head. So many that I've started worrying about it causing some serious damage. After talking with his PTs about it, we've ordered a peanut therapy ball to start doing some protective response exercises on. He's got to figure out a way to catch himself on his elbows.
Another current worry of mine is his nose. Here lately, I've noticed him snorting a lot, especially when lying down. I have a feeling it has to do with his sinuses, so I plan on asking his ENT to look into it when we go in October.
Potty training is going well. For a few days, I thought we had mastered #2, but we've backtracked with that. I'm just thankful that we are in big boy underwear all day except for sleeping. Pull-ups are expensive! I stumbled upon the Perfect Potty Stool on my quest to find a stool for Reece that had handles. It is definitely perfect! He loves the independence it gives him. He's still a little short to be able to sit and scoot back on the potty, but he'll get there.
Since he has developed a love for climbing, I decided to try to teach him how to get on and off his bed by himself. I've got to find a sturdier stool than the Walmart one we have, but he has the climbing up part figured out. Getting down is a little harder. He doesn't understand that he has to put his feet down first and not his head. He'll just lean over the side, and you can see the wheels turning like "This can't be right." Then comes, "I need help! Help me, Mama!" Which also reminds me that "Mama" is becoming an overused term in this house. I'm thinking about telling him that I'm changing my name. Hey, if he can change his to "Paula" why can't I?
This Friday is the ultrasound on my thyroid gland. I'm just ready for it to be over with! I've got more important things to worry about this upcoming month, namely Reece's thumb surgery. I'm just so tired of thinking! I told Nick last night that my brain hurts because of all of the thinking I've been doing. I have Sonrays stuff going on, the small group I'm leading, Reece's therapies, Reece's surgery, Nick's Aunt Sheila, church families that are going through a tough time, my thyroid, future children (if there are any) and everything else that I have to think about just to keep our household running. On top of all of that, I have this little idea in my head about getting my masters online from USM to become a children's librarian. I have a passion for children's books, as evidenced by the hundreds Reece has in literally every room of our house. Just an idea at the moment, and not something I'd pursue until Reece starts school and we see what kind of assistance he will need, but it's there and may give me an outlet.
Nick and I go Wednesday afternoon to have our blood drawn and sent to Germany to further examine our chances of another child with Escobar. With the risk of getting too personal, Nick and I have totally different views about future children right now, and it's eating at me. I'm hoping the results help us to sort it out. In addition to the blood draw, Dr. Rahman will also discuss what he found out at a recent genetics conference about the upcoming research study on Escobar. I hope we hear some postive news!
Well, I've typed too long, and the dog has gotten in trouble and been sentenced to his kennel. Ugh! I sooo begged for the wrong breed of dog! Looks like a walk won't be happening this morning. Maybe this afternoon...
With love,
Beth
P.S. I changed the picture at the top because I love to look back and see how far God has brought Reece. He's absolutely amazing!
No comments:
Post a Comment