Sunday, March 14, 2010

Our Busy Weekend

Sorry for the delayed update...it's been really busy around here! Reece did wonderfully with having his new ear tubes put in. We were shocked to learn that he had so much thick mucus behind his eardrums that it had been muffling his hearing by 40 decibels, which is a lot. While we are not overly concerned with Reece's speech, this should help the way he says some of his words. I felt so terrible because with all of that mucus, he had to be in pain. He never showed it though. The poor little guy has been through so much, I think he has a high pain tolerance. We are relieved to have that over with though. We were at Batson at 6 Thursday morning and home by 9:15 with Reece fully recovered. Easiest surgery we've ever been through!
Friday, we were once again SUPPOSED to go for hippotherapy at 9 that morning, but she called me at 6:45 needing to cancel because of an unexpected meeting. Then, next week is spring break and she wasn't sure if she'd be in town, so who knows when Reece will be able to get back on April. I hope she didn't read about Escobar Syndrome and become freaked out. I warned her that what she might read doesn't necessarily apply to Reece, so hopefully that's not the case.
In other therapy news, Reece continues with a mind of his own. He refuses to perform what his therapists want him to do, but 1-2 days later I find him doing it all by himself. For example, for 30 minutes Wednesday, we tried to get him to pull up to his toy box while sitting in his little chair. We coaxed, pleaded, and bribed with M&Ms, but he just looked at us like, "You can't trick me." So, the next day, I put him in his chair and didn't say anything to him about pulling to a stand on the toy box. Well, the little stinker did it over and over again all with a huge grin on his face. I immediately texted his PT to let her know what he did. Of course, she got a big kick out of it. I think I'm just going to have start recording every little move he makes so I'll have some proof! He really is a little stinker!
Saturday was extremely busy for us. Nick had to work, and Reece and I headed to Freedom Ridge Park to set up a table for Discovery Toys at the Boundless Playground fundraiser. My new team member, Kimberly, and I had a blast hanging out, and Reece really enjoyed it despite the freezing wind that blew the entire time. He met the Easter bunny, whom he wasn't just overjoyed about seeing. Reece was on his walker, and we headed over on the sidewalk to go visit the bunny. He was so sweet in that he met us halfway so Reece wouldn't have so far to walk. When we got about 6 feet from him, he started waving at Reece, and Reece put that walker in reverse. I finally coaxed him into meeting him. He didn't cry, but he just put his little head down. I think he might have been a little teased as well. The highlight of Reece's time at the park was when he met two therapy dogs. Chief was the huge, beautiful, black Belgian sheep dog, and Reece loved him. He fed him a goldfish cracker and chased his tail on his walker. That dog got right up in Reece's face, and Reece just giggled. He kept saying, "There ya go, dog, there ya go!" I think the child is going to be an animal lover like his mama. A few people took some pictures of Reece, but I failed to ask where they were going to be published. A lady took several cute shots of him with the dogs, and I'm kicking myself for not asking where I could find them!
There was a great turn out for the event, and I was able to meet the Malones, who are heading up this project. Their son, Adam, has a form of muscular dystrophy, and they are working on getting this playground in honor of him. I was able to see a diagram of the playground, and it's going to be so awesome! I can't wait!
After leaving the park, I dropped Reece off at the house where Granny and Papa were waiting to sit with him during naptime and afterwards. I had a toy party to do at Kimberly's house, so I headed over there about 2:00. Only one person showed up for our party, but that's ok. We're getting the word out, and hopefully, we'll be able to book some more. After I got home about 5:30, Granny and Papa took me and Reece to eat at the Cock of the Walk. Reece was doing great until the waiters and waitresses sang "Happy Birthday" behind us. That was it for Reece. He sulled up and started pouting like I had never seen him do before. He refused to eat anything and was ready to get home. I thought he might be getting sick because his little eyes were so weak, but I think he was just as exhausted as I was. Turns out, that I'm the one who ended up getting sick last night and this morning. I have terrible allergies, and I think being out in the wind yesterday with all of the stuff starting to bloom triggered my sinus infection. I woke up this morning barely able to breathe and with swollen eyes. Really pretty sight, huh? So, we didn't make it to church this morning. Instead, I spent the morning just spending time with Reece. He helped me to start pricing stuff for our big neighborhood garage sale next month. He loved playing with the price stickers. I'm finding them everywhere! I'm finally feeling a little better after some Sudafed and eye drops, so hopefully I'm on the mend! I HATE being sick! It slows me down, and I don't like to be slowed down!
I hope everyone has a beautiful and blessed spring break this week. No special plans for the Barham family... just spending time outside (after taking allergy meds:)
With love,
Beth

2 comments:

Janet said...

Hey, Beth! I can totally relate to the sinus/allergy issues:)
Most days in the Spring and Summer, I walk around with allergy meds in my hand!
I think it is so wonderful what you are doing with your new business venture and with how new opportunities are presenting themselves to be more involved with raising awareness of extra needs in your community and your church!
You are a great Momma, and I hope the Benadryl doesn't knock you out like it does me so that you can keep plowing ahead with all you have going on:)

The Long Family said...

We went to Richie's baseball game saturday and it was so cold. I can't believe you made it through the morning at the park! I just got over an allergy attack. It was awful.