Funny story... Reece said his first sentence when we were leaving Tuesday Morning. I had him in his stroller, but the walker was in the back of the Outlook. I popped the back to put the stroller in, and the walker fell out in the middle of the parking lot. I almost cried, but then Reece said, "Oooh noo, Bickey Bouse walker faaalll!" He has his mother's very Southern drawl, so just imagine him saying it with that effect! I couldn't help die out laughing despite the fact that the walker did have some bumps on it. Turns out that that was only the beginning of an interesting few days. Monday, I went to pick up Reece from school. He was walking to the car from the school, and he's become very conscious of "bumps" in the sidewalk since falling so many times. He may even be a little obsessive about them. Anyway, I was walking right beside him assuring him that I wasn't going to let him fall. Well, I misjudged what I thought was a "little" bump that I thought he could handle, and over he went onto the sidewalk. He scraped his forehead, and it wasn't nearly as brutal as his first fall, but I've never wanted to burst into tears so badly. I dropped everything, scooped him up, and took him to the car to kiss and love on him. In the meantime, this lady in a van pulls over out of the car line and gets out. I'm thinking she's wanting to check to see if Reece was ok, but, no, she wants to know if he has cerebral palsy, have we tried magnesium therapy, yada-yada-yada. He's screaming his head off the whole time. She finally left and I turn to get my keys... could not find them anywhere! I searched for 20 minutes by myself. Then, one of Reece's teachers came out and she helped to to look. We finally found them! Guess where? In between Reece and his seatbelt! Reece thought it was hysterical, but I was about in tears! Nick now says he has a teenager at home since I got a speeding ticket on Friday and lost my keys Monday.
Wednesday I spoke with a lady in Florence to see about getting Reece involved in hippotherapy. Hippotherapy is physical therapy using horses. The way the horse's pelvis moves helps to stimulate the human's joints and muscles used for walking. We are very excited about it. I have to get the paperwork for her, and then we'll set up an evaluation for next week. Not sure exactly where we are going to fit this into our schedule, but we'll figure it out! You can search youtube and find all kinds of videos on this type of therapy.
Yesterday was Reece's big 2 year checkup. The staff of the Children's Clinic have always been super sweet to Reece, and they were thrilled to see him walk in on his walker. He has them all wrapped around his little finger. Reece had a good check up with Dr. Denney. Until now, Reece has been in the less than 1st percentile for weight and height. I am happy to say that he is now in the 3rd percentile for height at a massive 31 1/2 inches! Not so lucky in the weight department- still holding steady at 20 lbs. He had to have his finger pricked, his Hep A shot, and his 2nd swine flu shot. He was not a happy camper when we left. We did get a prescription for Miralax to help with the tummy issues Reece has been having here the last couple of weeks. We also got Dr. Denney to get the necessary paperwork ready for the hippotherapy, and he also filled out an application for us to obtain a disabled parking tag. We picked it up yesterday after his appointment, and I feel so much better now. I can let Reece walk from the parking lot now at church and when I drop him off at school.
Last night, Nick and I attended MarriedLife Live at church. We had a great time, and it has encouraged me to really focus more on our marriage now. On our way to the church, we were listening to KLove. The song, "God You Reign" came on, and suddenly we realized Reece was singing along with it. Can I just tell you it was the sweetest thing in the world hearing him sing to the top of his lungs, "Dod dyou reign!" One of those moments we'll never forget! Naturally, he didn't want to leave the church last night. He has been there Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. This is the first day he hasn't been there. I think he's beginning to think it's his second home. He has no problem wheeling away from us in the commons without ever looking back.
Today, we have been super lazy. I've been the only one to brave the pouring rain, and that was just to get Reece's prescription filled. I've done some rearranging, baked some tea cakes, and am planning on cooking a good supper tonight. It's been kinda a nice day!
Hope you are staying dry and warm!
With love,
Beth
No comments:
Post a Comment