Tomorrow's the big day for Reece. We have to be at Blair E. Batson at 6:00 in the morning. Needless to say, I'll be turning in not too long after I finish this post! We've been extremely busy these last two days trying to get ready for this surgery. I told you about the hearing test, and how we had an appt with the ENT on Monday. Well, we went, and it turns out that one ear tube is out and the other one is halfway out. Soooo... Dr. Carron, the ENT, will take the first 15 minutes of surgery tomorrow to replace both ear tubes. Then, there had been some minor concern about Reece's heart. When he was born, he had a common abnormality with his heart that usually closes up. We didn't even know about it until I received a hospital report when Reece was 6 months old. Since then, Dr. Denney has repeatedly checked his heart and has not heard a murmur. However, every surgeon since has wanted clearance from a cardiologist because if the problem had not closed up, then Reece would need to receive IV antibiotics before every surgery to prevent infection (We definitely don't need another one of those in the family!!!). See, Reece was only 4 months when he had his feet surgery, so we didn't know about the heart situation then. Thank goodness nothing went wrong. Dr. Denney, being the awesome pediatrician that he is, got Reece in this morning for an echocardiogram just to be on the safe side. I am so relieved to tell you that Reece's heart is absolutely normal! We really knew it all along, but now we have the confirmation. Since we know this, there is no need for us to see the cardiologist next week, so we've cancelled that appointment. Whew!
Reece will be the first surgery in the morning, so please stop around 7:30 and say a little prayer for our brave man. I'm nervous, but not quite as bad as I thought I would be. The thing that upsets me the most is that Reece is old enough now to understand he's being taken away from us. Last trip to the OR, he left us smiling. I don't think that will be the case tomorrow. I find comfort in knowing that he will be with the Great Physician, though. That's the only thing that gives me some peace.
They say he'll go home tomorrow, but we are going prepared to spend the night. I'll update as soon as I can to let you know how it goes.
Now on to my Mama... She is like a million times better! They took her in today and changed out the wound vac and said that the infection was looking better. Praise the Lord! He does answer prayers. She is definitely coming around to her old self. She ate some Cheez-Its, potato chips, and even a Twix candy bar. She actually is asking for food as opposed to us forcing her to eat! She's cracking jokes and fussing at Daddy (a true sign of her coming around:) I feel so much better about her now. She's got a long way to go still, but she's on the right track!
I know I say this all the time, but I truly can't say it enough; thank you all for the prayers and thoughts for both my mom and Reece. Not one goes unappreciated!
With love,
Beth
1 comment:
Will keep the little man in my prayers tomorrow. And as always, let me know if you need anything.
Post a Comment